How quickly should a landlord return a deposit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How quickly should a landlord return a deposit?

We moved out officially on 31 July having given 5-6 weeks notice although we were actually living at our new address before then. Our landlord has not yet returned our deposit and says they are assessing what repairs need to be done (although we do not know what these might be as we left the house as we found it, if not cleaner - except for wear and tear, carpet getting thinner etc). The landlord also will not tell us which scheme our deposit is being held in - I suspect it isn't safeguarded. We moved in November 2008. Does our landlord have to tell us where the deposit is and is there a time limit for him to return it? Really grateful for any clarification.

15 days is not unreasonable - but it is heading that way.
    You should have been told within 14 days of paying your deposit not only which scheme it was in, but how you should recover it. Follow the links on this page to check if your deposit is in a scheme. http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index..._protected/0-4

If your deposit is protected, use the schemes website to reclaim your deposit.
    If your deposit isn't protected, read more of the above page - but note the warning (under the letter) about claiming compensation.

Comment

Staying on the topic of return of deposit, I'm looking for some advice. i recently moved out of a flat a the end of a tenancy annd am awaiting return of my deposit, which is held by the TDS.

The letting agent states that it could take up to 30 working days for them to advise us if the landlord wants to take any deductions from the deposit (and I understand that after that, if there is no dispute, it can take a further 10 days for return of the funds).

My question is whether 30 working days would be classed as a reasonable amount of time to decide whether or not to make deductions from our deposit? There was a check-out report done the day we handed the keys back.

Comment

missg00se - you should start a new thread for your question rather than hijacking someone elses, it makes it easier to reply to pertinent questions from one person rather than two
        My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X