Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparing a correct rent schedule for court submission

Hi all

Can someone please advise when preparing a “rent schedule” to present in court.

Do you show the rent due in a period and then the actual rent paid i.e. physical payments for the relevant month only.

In my situation rent is due in advance and has been paid sporadically by the T, although rent is due monthly, T has even paid amounts on a weekly basis and has at times "overpaid" the monthly rent due due to making weekly rent payments. I have therefore prepared a schedule that allocates all the payments to the various months i.e. if in a month T has overpaid I have moved this overpayment to the following month and vice versa where rent is underpaid in a month amounts overpaid have been allocated back to this month.

Is this correct or do I just show actual payments? If it’s this latter presentation do I just show a cumulative balance so the judge can see what is going on.

Regards
    Smithie

I expect the Court be happy with an account format, where the rental payments due are shown as debits and the rent payments made are shown as credits:

e.g.

.................................DR....CR..Balance
    31/03/2011.Rent.Paid.................£500.....£500
    01/04/2011.Rent.due.for.April.-£500.............£0
    01/05/2011.Rent.due.for.May...-£500..........-£500
    02/05/2011.Rent.Paid.................£500.......£0
    01/06/2011.Rent.due.for.June..-£500..........-£500
    15/06/2011.Rent.Paid.................£300....-£200
    31/06/2011.Rent.Paid.................£200.......£0
    01/07/2011.Rent.due.for.July..-£500..........-£500
    27/07/2011.Rent.Paid.................£200....-£300
    01/08/2011.Rent.due.for.Augus.-£500..........-£800
    15/08/2011.Rent.Paid.................£200....-£600
    etc.

This does requires a cumulative balance to show the judge what is going on. The rent account should never have a negative balance, when it does the Tenant owes you money. This is easier for all concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by smithie View Post
      Can someone please advise when preparing a “rent schedule” to present in court.
      I've done it by setting up a table as follows:

Column 1: Date
      Column 2: Amount due (ie the monthly rent due on "Date")
      Column 3: In respect of (eg "1 month's rent from 1 August")
      Column 4: Amount paid (ie amount actually paid by tenant on "Date"
      Column 5: Arrears (ie cumulative balance)

Every 'amount due' and 'amount paid' gets its own row in the table.

Has worked for me fine in court.

**Edit: oh, somebody else has posted a reply while I was writing mine - I wasn't trying to contradict that or saying my way is better (although they are pretty much identical in fact)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X