Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fleas infestation

hello everybody,
    I received a mail from the letting agency who is managing a property with gardens on the front and rear
    In that property live a lady with her baby with dss benefits and they must have a massive dog

This is what the letting agency wrote:

"Your tenant has reported that there are fleas in the property and in the past has had City Council out twice to get rid of these. Unfortunately City Council no longer carry out this service and as such we have had to call in a contractor to have a look at this.
    There are 3 treatments that are needed – first to kill the adults, second to kill the fleas once the eggs have hatched and a third treatment to make sure that both the first and second treatments have worked. The total cost for these treatments is £210 plus VAT.
    These works will need to be carried out and I would be grateful if you could please confirm as soon as possible that you would like me to instruct this as the works can start
    Also, the tenant has been unable to live in the property as she and her son have both been bitten badly by the fleas and have asked if you would be in a position to offer them a rent free period, maybe for a couple of weeks?? She had put down new carpets in the bedroom however has had to throw them away due to the infestation.
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the above."

I agreed to pay for the treatments and to offer them a rent free period for a couple of weeks
    But I'd like to know how to fix this issue once and for all
    I am shocked that they didn’t advise me before but the tenants must have fixed the problem with the council the first and second time
    I have heard of fleas only during the second world war!!
    What do you think about it?

many thanks

You should find out when the fleas were first reported.

If they were any later than 2 weeks after the tenant moved into the property then it is safe to assume that they are not your problem/responsibility - the property is being infected, and re-infected by the flea-bitten mutt.

Comment

I'd have to disagree; flea eggs can stay dormant for a long time until the conditions are right for them to hatch. A year isn't unusual. You can only kill adult fleas; at best all you can hope for is to sterilise the existing eggs and kill the sterile adults when they hatch.

£210 sounds a lot even for three visits? is that thegoing rate where you live?
      My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

You needs to treat Pets and the house at the same time for fleas.

3 vists will not solve the problem,fleas can get everywhere.

It will take much longer than 3 vist to clear up any problem,especially if there a flea epidemic last one was 2007.
        Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Originally posted by marco_c View Post
          I received a mail from the letting agency who is managing a property with gardens on the front and rear
          In that property live a lady with her baby with dss benefits and they must have a massive dog
          I don't quite follow this. Does your tenant own this dog? If not, did a previous tenant of yours own a dog? How long after your tenant moved in did she start having a problem?

Comment

many thanks for your replies
            the lady and her son are the first tenants since last year
            i don't know if their dog was infected
            i have never had such experience and honestly i didn't know what to say to the letting agency so i followed their advice about the treatments and to offer them a rent free period for a couple of weeks
            £210 sounds a lot maybe because the letting agency is dealing with a contractor
            i really hope to fix this problem

Comment

I agreed to pay for the treatments and to offer them a rent free period for a couple of weeks
              But I'd like to know how to fix this issue once and for all
              I am shocked that they didn’t advise me before but the tenants must have fixed the problem with the council the first and second time
              You're mad if you agree to pay without first establishing who is liable. If the property was not infested when the T moved in, it's her problem.

Comment

p.s. If you do agree to a rent free period, then advise the tenant that you will be informing Housing Benefit of this (so she can't just pocket the benefits for the weeks she doesn't pay, which might be the plan...).

Comment

the lady and her son are the first tenants since last year
                  i don't know if their dog was infected
                  So the current tenant who's complaining has a dog?! Then it's absolutely not your problem!

Comment

thanks for your advice
                    i really appreciate it
                    i see that i made a huge mistake
                    i am going to lose the rent for 2 weeks and pay for the treatments
                    and unfortunately i don't think that these 3 treatments will fix this problem (the letting agency is not managing the property in a good way)
                    the letting agency made me sign a contract with the tenants for 6 months so the contract has already expired
                    i can wait and see the next weeks and in case i can change the agency and tenants
                    what else can i do?

Comment

Get your agents to write to the tenants saying that you accept no liability for the flea problem, but you have agreed to those measures as a good-will gesture.

You can not just throw the tenants out. A 6 month contract is pretty standard, but once that fixed term expires, the LAW makes it continue as a 'statutory periodic tenancy'. If you want them out, you are going to have to evict them the legal way. http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index..._contract/0-37

Please don't talk of the agents 'making' you do things - they are YOUR employees, they do what you say. Sure you may take their advice, but I presume no gun was held to your head?

Check the terms of your agreement with the agency. It is possible you can not change the agency whilst the current tenant is still living there.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X