Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agency Viewings

Hi,

I'm currently 4 months into a 6 month contract (I'm a tenant) and although I was hoping to let this roll onto a month-to-month contract the Letting Agency want me to sign another 6 month contract (to get their fees I guess).

I have just received a text saying that there will be viewing on the property from 10am to 6pm tomorrow. I have 2 issues with this...

1. Surely they have to give a more definite time and not just specify an 8hour window for viewings? This could potentially happen for the next 2 months!

2. After a bad experience in the past I would like to be present for all viewings. The problem is that I work about 60 miles from the house so I don't get back until 6:30 or 6:45 depending on traffic. Ideally the viewings will be from 7pm.

Can I refuse viewings without my presence? They have a spare key and I'm concerned that they will just let themselves in when I'm not home.

Thanks for any help.

Tell em no!

If you want to be there for viewings then plainly they should provide you a specific time. Furthermore, a very unprofessional way to behave with such uncertainty about your future. If you were my T I'd be fuming about this poor treatment.

I would be specific about telling them that under no circumstances are they to enter your home without your consent.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Thanks, I'm currently drafting a letter telling them that they cant enter the property without my prior consent. I'm just worried that they will give me a bad reference.

Do the letting agency have to give me a contact address or number for the landlord? I dont believe that the letting agency have told him that I want to stay on with a rolling month-to-month contract because they wont get their fees.

Comment

Tell them that you do not want to sign a new contract, but you will not be leavng the property, you will stay in the property on a periodic tenancy under section 5 of the 1988 Housing Act.

If you do not have contact details for the landlord, WRITE to the agency for them - they have to provide them within 21 days under section 1 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

You do appreciate that with only a periodic tenancy, your landlord can give you 2 months notice at any time (may already have done so) to commence eviction proceedings under section 21 of the 1988 Act.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X