Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agency Viewings

Hi,

I'm currently 4 months into a 6 month contract (I'm a tenant) and although I was hoping to let this roll onto a month-to-month contract the Letting Agency want me to sign another 6 month contract (to get their fees I guess).

I have just received a text saying that there will be viewing on the property from 10am to 6pm tomorrow. I have 2 issues with this...

1. Surely they have to give a more definite time and not just specify an 8hour window for viewings? This could potentially happen for the next 2 months!

2. After a bad experience in the past I would like to be present for all viewings. The problem is that I work about 60 miles from the house so I don't get back until 6:30 or 6:45 depending on traffic. Ideally the viewings will be from 7pm.

Can I refuse viewings without my presence? They have a spare key and I'm concerned that they will just let themselves in when I'm not home.

Thanks for any help.

Tell em no!

If you want to be there for viewings then plainly they should provide you a specific time. Furthermore, a very unprofessional way to behave with such uncertainty about your future. If you were my T I'd be fuming about this poor treatment.

I would be specific about telling them that under no circumstances are they to enter your home without your consent.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Thanks, I'm currently drafting a letter telling them that they cant enter the property without my prior consent. I'm just worried that they will give me a bad reference.

Do the letting agency have to give me a contact address or number for the landlord? I dont believe that the letting agency have told him that I want to stay on with a rolling month-to-month contract because they wont get their fees.

Comment

Tell them that you do not want to sign a new contract, but you will not be leavng the property, you will stay in the property on a periodic tenancy under section 5 of the 1988 Housing Act.

If you do not have contact details for the landlord, WRITE to the agency for them - they have to provide them within 21 days under section 1 of the 1985 Landlord & Tenant Act.

You do appreciate that with only a periodic tenancy, your landlord can give you 2 months notice at any time (may already have done so) to commence eviction proceedings under section 21 of the 1988 Act.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
          by theartfullodger
          Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
          06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
        • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
          by Livingonaprayer
          Hi all.
          I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
          Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
          06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
        • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
          by AndrewDod
          If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
          06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
        • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
          by Bert1e
          Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
          28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
        • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
          by alice123
          I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
          06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
        • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
          by llplug
          I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
          19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
        • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
          by KTC
          The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
          06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
        • Reply to Accelerated possession order
          by Hudson01
          This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
          06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
        • Accelerated possession order
          by Pariah81
          A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
          05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
        • Reply to Accelerated possession order
          by L4NDLORD
          this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
          06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
        Working...
        X