Taking a deposit - need to sign a form?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Taking a deposit - need to sign a form?

    Hi, I've finally decided to take a deposit after some wise advice from others on this forum, the tenancy agreement states I'll be taking a deposit and how much so will I need to have an additional form signed regarding the deposit? many thanks

    I usually include a back page on my tenancy agreements covering meter readings for all the utilities on the day the tenancy is signed/started, and a space for how much rent in advance and how much deposit. I also type up a receipt form to give the tenant confirming that I have received 1 month rent in advance and a security deposit, the amounts for each, date received and I sign and get the tenant to sign - give them a copy.

    You then need to protect it (as per the advice given in your previous post here), and send the tenant the prescribed information (usually printed from the deposit scheme website).

    So long as you give them something signed as a receipt to cover the money they are giving you, I don't think it needs to be a specific document. I would also amend your TA to include a clause that you will abide by the laws to protect the tenant's deposit and the name of the scheme you are going to use.

    You need to protect the deposit within 14 days.


      Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
      You need to protect the deposit within 14 days.
      ...however, there are no sanctions for late protection.



        The tenancy agreement should specify what are allowable deductions from the deposit, and the amount of the deposit.

        Be sure you get the deposit (and rent in advance) in cleared funds before signing the contract/handing over keys.

        (Also, be sure to get an inventory done at check-in. You can find a clerk via this website:

        Then, protect the deposit (the DPS http://www.depositprotection.com/ is probably best for your purposes, as it's free, and you don't need to worry about membership fees, etc). Step two is to provide T with the prescribed information; you can download a template on the DPS's website.

        Note that, while you must give the T the opportunity to sign the prescribed information, it's not essential for T to sign it. More important is to keep a copy and obtain evidence of giving it to them (if they don't sign it).


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
          28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
        • Renting rooms
          by Luke
          I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
          I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
          I do not intend to live at the property
          Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
          As its...
          28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
          28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by theartfullodger
          Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
          28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by Hudson01
          If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
          28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by jpkeates
          That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

          The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
          The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
          28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
        • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by Piffy
          I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
          27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
        • Reply to Renting rooms
          by DoricPixie
          You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
          28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
        • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
          by DoricPixie
          I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

          I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
          28-01-2022, 16:06 PM