Deposit deductions after LL sold house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by martyn rowlands View Post
    The Landlord has actually sold the property so to me it just seems a bit petty to withhold the deposit
    Were the issues identified before the sale?
    Did you negotiate a lower price based on them?

If not, then I cannot see that the LL has suffered any loss, and you should dispute the deposit deductions on that basis.

Comment

Thanks for the responses,really appreciate the candid advice. I think what really upsets me is that we treated the house like it was made of glass. The inspection rating when we moved in was 4 out of 5, it was 5 out of 5 when we moved out,1 have 3 kids and a dog so we thought on initial reports we had done well. The entry report shows the blinds were already stained and damaged and things like the sink I just think are an unavoidable part of daily use. We have just had to pay another deposit for the new place we are living in and as a working family we REALLY need the previous deposit back. The landlord, having sold the house they inherited is taking all the time allowed to get quotes for things we didn't damage. I know the disputes process will see a fair end but it is just a really frustrating wait. Heyho it's a lesson learned. TBF the estate agent isn't really doing much to help us either so they need a kick up the a*se too.. having said they they are the selling agent so I guess in the grand scheme of things we are a captive audience and the landlord/vendor isn't.

Comment

How is the landlord going to get quotes for items in a property that they've sold?

One thing to check, when the property was being sold, were the estate agent's photographs the same one's used in the check out report?

And ust in case - was the deposit protected within 30 days of receipt (unless the lease began before 2012) and were you given a document called the "Prescribed Information" and the opportunity to sign it within the same deadline?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

They have sold but not completed, so we had our check out a couple of weeks after they had accepted an offer.. there was no issue with the buyer and the condition of the property. bonkers honestly

Comment

Why did you not put a competiive offer in for the property?

Comment

long story short, im Bipolar, made some seriously poor decisions while in an episode a few years ago.. rebuilding my credit rating having lost EVERYTHING. happy days

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X