Template letter cliaming deposit ( from LL to LA )

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Template letter cliaming deposit ( from LL to LA )

    Last year my LA protected T's deposit in a deposit scheme in good time. Yesterday my inventory clerk was genuinely shocked by what he found in my flat at the check out. As LL I now want to initiate a claim so that a proportion of T's deposit is returned to me not him.

    a) I am not sure how to initiate this claim in writing. What form of words should I use. Is there a template letter on this site that I can adapt ?

    b) To get the deposit returned, I have a choice of approaching the LA directly or approaching the deposit scheme directly or a blend of the two. What is the form?

    c) I do not know T's forwarding address. Therefore I am going to have trouble giving T 10 days notice or whatever is required because I don't know where he is. Similarly I doubt I can go the MCOL route.

    Any responses welcome.

    Thank you , Metropolitan Scumbag Millionaire Anthony.

    Chances are LA put it in (their own?) insurance based dep scheme, so approach LA first, make sure he has handled it correctly and provided T with reqd info. Why do you not know as T deposit is ultimately your liability? Decide amount of deductions to be made. If deductions > deposit decide if excess is worth paying a tracing Co to find T so you can make a SCC claim. I would wait to reclaim dep until you can make a single person claim for refund, no T forwarding address reqd. Scheme should attempt to contact ex T from info they have eg mobile no. If T does not respond, full deposit will be repaid to you/LA.


      You recover the deposit via the agent. If tenant can not be found, then the deposit scheme will have a "single claim process" which will allow you to claim an appropriate amount of the deposit back without the tenants involvement.

      If you still need to trace the tenant after you have recovered the deposit, companies like findermonkey will trace your tenant on a no-find-no-fee basis - costs around £40. If tenant is asset-less, it may not be worth doing. Do not employ a tracing agency within 3 months of a change of address, they need time for the tenant to lay a new trail.


        Excellent advice. Thank you both for your guidance.

        I have now found two forwarding addresses for T and I have found the TDS certificate from the LA that shows the deposit was registered in good time. As LL I have drafted my deposit claim in the form of a letter to my LA. I am claiming approx 60% of the deposit.

        I can attach a sanitised version of my claim letter if this is appropriate. It might help another LL in my position. I have removed all identifying names, addresses.

        Metropolitan Anthony.


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
          by jpkeates
          Thanks for the update, good to know.
          30-11-2021, 10:05 AM
        • MCOL & PCOL
          by OS7
          Hello Everyone,

          Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
          04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
        • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
          by OS7
          Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
          30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
        • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
          by AndrewDod
          Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

          Sarah's right of...
          29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
        • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
          by Bert1e
          Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

          I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
          28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
        • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
          by jpkeates
          There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
          That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
          29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
        • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
          by Mr. Sparkle
          About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

          I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

          I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

          29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
        • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
          by theartfullodger
          No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.


          s8 not an issue

          s21 see

          - there's...
          29-11-2021, 17:50 PM