Deposit issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit issues!

Hey guys, I would like some advice on the following situation.
    My tenancy ended in May of this year and the landlord inspected the flat and found everything to be satisfactory but he requested copies of the utility bills (all have been paid). I was sharing the flat with three other people and we each paid a single utility bill e.g. I paid the water bill. However, after emailing him copies, he never replied and judging by his comments did not even bother checking. The other 3 people have all received their deposits, without having to show their bills (gas/electricity mainly). Getting worried about the situation, I contacted the estate agent and have been told that I have to provide all the bills for the last month, not just the one I paid if I wanted my deposit. I am having some problems getting these bills as my flat mates are have gone abroad and even when they return, I have not guarantee that they will have kept copies.

Is he allowed to withhold my deposit, holding me accountable for the bills of the other tenants just because I asked for the money last? Sure he should have withheld everyone's money. I feel as though I am being forced to do his job.

Also, if I were to take the case to small claims court what sort of outcome could I expect?

Thanks in advance.

The utility bills are between you and your co-tenants and the utility companies. They have nothing to do with your landlord. He is not allowed to withhold your deposit for those.

I would expect you to win if you made a claim.

Unless of course there was a clause in your agreement allowing him to that you had agreed to, but I'd still expect you to win.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

"The utility bills are between you and your co-tenants and the utility companies. They have nothing to do with your landlord."
        Normally, but not in every case, depends on wording of AST
        LL may be giving OP special attention if he was the lead T or as OP surmises he was last to ask.
        Perhaps OP/LL should approach each utility for written confirmation of account holder's name and the bill has been paid up to the move out date/meter reading/date of cancellation of contract. Ts & utility bills can be fraught with problems as most bills are only sent every 6 months and cancellations can be 'forgotten' by Ts thinking the last bill was paid.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          Normally, but not in every case, depends on wording of AST
          I agree, that's why I put the qualifier

Unless of course there was a clause in your agreement allowing him to that you had agreed to, but I'd still expect you to win.
          I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X