Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T wants to leave early and withholding rent

Hi

I got a fairly new tenant and he wants to leave because he thinks the property is dirty and in his mind not fit to live in. He's only been there for about 2 weeks and is threatening legal action to claim compensation for stress caused by him having to clean the place.

The property was cleaned prior to him moving in but obviously not to his standards. I recalled the cleaners to re-clean and he was still not happy.

He is now intending to withhold rent as compensation and wants to leave before his minimum term of 6 months. He is intending to seek legal advice on the matter.

Does T have the right to withhold rent and leave early without compensating the LL?

Thanks in advance.

Tenant has no right to withold rent - full stop.

Even if he leaves, you could, technically, hold him responsible for the full value of the contract.

I can not see any court awarding him anything for the 'stress' of cleaning a place - especially when you show the court the invoice from the cleaners!

However, I think it would be best if you agreed to allow the tenant to surrender his tenancy in exchange for the payment of any outstanding rent, this will allow you to re-let the place to someone who will be willing to pay the rent.

Comment

I agree with Snorkerz, but make sure T leaves the place clean. It always amazes me that tenants who complain most about my cleaning standards leave places filthy!
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

The cleaning was done to a good standard, but T insists it was substandard. Not sure what planet he is on. I'm doing all I can to calm him down and rectify things but he wants to pursue matters via legal means.

I've got no problems for him to leave. In fact the sooner the better because I can do without this hassle. The problem is that he believes he is not liable to pay a penny in compensation for my letting agent fees or the minimum 6 months break. His AST is a 12 month contract. He has paid one months rent so far.

The question is after his month is up do I allow him to leave, return his deposit and take the loss for the the agent fees?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I think it is fair if T pays for time he is in residence plus any letting fees (from deposit if necessary.)
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
            I think it is fair if T pays for time he is in residence plus any letting fees (from deposit if necessary.)
            I agree that that is fair - however the T may not be willing to agree to those terms (indeed, from the sound of it won't). In which case, T might remain in property, not paying rent, until he is evicted by a court order. I think letting him go and losing a few hundred in letting fees is preferable to not gettig any rent for the next five months.

Comment

Hmm, but would o/p have to spell out his terms before tenant moves out? Hint, hint.

Comment

Originally posted by tsu3000 View Post
                The question is after his month is up do I allow him to leave, return his deposit and take the loss for the the agent fees?
                No, why should you? Certainly do not return the deposit. T signed a binding contract. If you release him from the contract you should not be left out pocket. It's ridiculous for T to expect to get off scot free, let alone for you to pay him! Let him seek legal advice; we all know what they'll tell him. I suspect that it might be nothing to do with the cleaning and he's just decided he wants to live elsewhere.

Is T employed?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                  I think letting him go and losing a few hundred in letting fees is preferable to not gettig any rent for the next five months.
                  Depends on whether he's working. If he is then ultimately you could get the unpaid rent back.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Labour taxation plans
                    by theartfullodger
                    May I quote the Telegraph. on Sunak's kind gift of the highest tax burden for quite some time....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-burden-70/
                    22-01-2022, 18:10 PM
                  • Labour taxation plans
                    by steaming
                    Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
                    20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
                  • Reply to Labour taxation plans
                    by SouthernDave
                    The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
                    22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
                  • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by SouthernDave
                    I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
                    22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
                  • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by AVJ113
                    Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                    20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                  • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                    by AndrewDod
                    I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
                    b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
                    22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
                  • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                    by Lucylou99
                    Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
                    21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
                  • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
                    by Lawcruncher
                    It is in the nature of co-ownership that each owner owns the whole and each is therefore entitled to occupy the whole. The sister's right.therefore is not to receive rent but to occupy the property as well. If the sister does not want to share occupation but wants some benefit then, keeping things simple,...
                    22-01-2022, 16:08 PM
                  • Occupational rent to an executor.
                    by Yoda 111
                    I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
                    20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
                  • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by AVJ113
                    Not at all, it's all very informative, thank you. I think I might opt out of criterion 3 though, I'm not a pie and chips man myself....
                    22-01-2022, 15:20 PM
                  Working...
                  X