Landlord Inspections - How Often ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord Inspections - How Often ?

I have my first tenants moving in tomorrow. Naturally, I'm hoping all will be OK although I intend to make an inspection of the property some time after they have moved in. Please could you experienced landlords let me know when you usually make your first inspection and how often after that ? Thankyou for your help.

No fixed schedule

I make it clear to a new tenant on moving in that I will contact them in a month to arrange a time to pop round and 'see how they are getting on and that everything's OK for them, and to have a quick look round the property at the same time if that's OK' - and from my point of view the last item is the key one.

If everything's hunky dory at that visit I wouldn't specifically schedule another inspection; chances are that something will take me round agaiin the next six months or so, eg some minor maintenance issue or a gas inspection, which would let me informally eyeball the place at the same time.

Unless you're worried about the tenant either trashing the place, or not being proactive enough in reporting faults which can get worse if left untreated (eg leaks) I don't think it's appropriate or necessary to have a fixed schedule of inspections.

Comment

As a follow-up to the original question, if on your inspection you DO find something that is giving cause for concern, what would you do next?

My tenants signed their AST in the VERY clear understanding that smoking is not permitted, and if they do then they risk being charged with redecorating costs (they are looking to stay for a couple of years) and the no smoking/redecorating clauses were made very clear to them at the outset. However they are clearly smoking IN the house - you can smell it and they even had used ashtrays lying around the house when I visited for some maintenance work - and I reminded them verbally that they had said they wouldn't, and that if the continued to do so they might be faced with a redecorating bill.

Should I follow this up with a brief letter pointing out what I saw and what they had committed to? So far they've been a good bunch really - a bit untidy but they are pleasant enough and pay on time so apart from the smoking, they're not bad. I don't want to get up their noses by getting 'official' but I do want them to understand their responsibilities, as I have a particular bug-bear about smoking. The whole place was newly painted just before they moved in and if the place needs to be redecorated at the end because they've ruined it with nicotine and smoke I will HAVE to repaint.

Suggestions on how to proceed and cover my ar... options, while not unnecessarily antagonising acceptable tenants would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        Should I follow this up with a brief letter pointing out what I saw and what they had committed to? So far they've been a good bunch really - a bit untidy but they are pleasant enough and pay on time so apart from the smoking, they're not bad. I don't want to get up their noses by getting 'official' but I do want them to understand their responsibilities, as I have a particular bug-bear about smoking. The whole place was newly painted just before they moved in and if the place needs to be redecorated at the end because they've ruined it with nicotine and smoke I will HAVE to repaint.
        I'd say this is fairly simple... if you object to having to repaint later then you need to write to them - friendly but firm - and remind them they aren't allowed to smoke, and that that if they continue to do so they will most likely be liable for redecoration (and/or receiving an S21?)

Or if you want the quiet life, keep schtum; but then you'll have the choice of either covering the cost of future redecorating yourself, or having a bigger argument about them paying for it than if you say something about it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          I have a particular bug-bear about smoking.
          From a tenants point of view, I would not rent your property after smokers as inspite of any redecorating the smell of smoke would permeate the house, carpets, curtains etc. It sounds really daft but the way a house smells matters as much if not more than how it's decorated. Smoking and chemical air "fresheners" are out for me.
          ~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth Less View Post
            From a tenants point of view, I would not rent your property after smokers as inspite of any redecorating the smell of smoke would permeate the house, carpets, curtains etc. It sounds really daft but the way a house smells matters as much if not more than how it's decorated. Smoking and chemical air "fresheners" are out for me.
            Exactly my point, which is why I had the carpets cleaned, the curtains washed and all the walls and woodwork repainted, and is one reason why I object so strongly to such a disgusting habit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X