Setting up company to buy a property and then rent it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up company to buy a property and then rent it

I am considering buying a small property in order to rent to a family member. I want to remain anonymous as far as possible and wondered if it is possible to purchase the property in the name of a limited company and carry out the rental transactions in the name of that company. Anyone done this?

Yes you can do this. Its beneficial in many ways, although mostly if you buy numerous properties. The biggest factor is obviously taxation. I think broadly speaking if its just a single property there arent huge considerations either way - depending on current rates of tax paid etc.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

As MJB says, you would then be running a limited company and have to submit returns, audited accounts (unless you qualified for exemption) etc etc.

If you want to stay anonymous because of housing benefit, then remember your name is available at companies house (so are probably available to the council), and that it is perfectly possible to rent to a family member without contravening the contrived lettings rule.

Comment

Thankyou very much for your responses. It seems then that it is an option and the returns to companies house and annual accounts are not an issue for me as it'll just be the one property.

Comment

Originally posted by asl1956 View Post
          I am considering buying a small property in order to rent to a family member. I want to remain anonymous as far as possible....
          In case this relates to housing benefit, setting up the company is fine, but anonymity is not, relationships must be disclosed by the applicant.
          I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Lawcruncher
            Just to clarify, what I meant was that the requirement comes from the tenancy terms if they include it....
            29-01-2022, 08:38 AM
          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by Piffy
            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
            by Flashback1966
            or just work hard and hopefully take an early retirement.

You can't predict the future. Things always go in cycle. They want to get rid of Section 21, so you may be unable to get your property back. You may end up working and subsidising your rentals....
            29-01-2022, 03:42 AM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by DoricPixie
            It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
            28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
          • Renting rooms
            by Luke
            I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
            I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
            I do not intend to live at the property
            Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
            As its...
            28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by DoricPixie
            I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
            28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by theartfullodger
            Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
            28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
          • Reply to Renting rooms
            by Hudson01
            If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
            28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
            by jpkeates
            That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
            The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
            28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
          Working...
          X