Worth installing water meter? (to avoid payment betwen tenancy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth installing water meter? (to avoid payment betwen tenancy)

Just getting frustrated with water companies that charge you for water when property is empty but furnished. No water is being used, but it is their policy to charge. Grossly unfair.

I have told the water company to turn off the water as the property is empty and but they wanted to charge me to turn off the water. So no benefit of calling them to turn off to save water bill.

Is installing a water meter worth it?

A water meter will reduce the supplied and subsequent treatment charge for the metered volume but not the sep standing charges or surface water charge. Be aware you are resp for any leaks after the meter, usually installed at the property boundary. A metered supply may deter a large family but should benefit a couple. Water is a utility bill & resp of T,during void periods LL is resp. Contact your current provider for metered costs vs annual water rate based on rateable value of property

Comment

I never have to pay United Utilities for water bills during voids, whether there's meter or not - I just inform them when the tenants come and go, no problems.

Originally posted by mariner View Post
      Be aware you are resp for any leaks after the meter, usually installed at the property boundary.
      A very good point, as in practice what can happen is that a leak can develop and run for weeks or months until the water meter is next read, and the resulting bill can be really massive. Tenants being tenants, and not realising the implications, will for months ignore a tap dripping for want of a replacement 5p washer, and when the huge resulting water bill arrives, will throw a wobbler when the landlord declines to compensate them for it. More tricky; we had a story on this forum where a toilet cistern was overflowing down the toilet bowl due to a faulty cistern, apparently with the tenants unaware - who should pay the resulting bill? And what about really big undetectable underground leaks which may develop between the meter in the street and the property?

So all in all, I reckon that water meters in rented properties are - potentially at least - not worth the aggro.

Comment

In private housing water meters work in my view. Our bill for Sewage and Water has dropped by 60% due to being in a high band rating. In any event the utility bill for rented property is a tax deductable!!

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Watcher View Post
          In any event the utility bill for rented property is a tax deductable!!
          Better no to incur the charge in the first place. If you've spent it, you haven't got it!

Comment

I believe once a water meter has been requested and it has been in more than a year you will not be able to change your mind and go back to a yearly bill.

Also as a rough rule of thumb if there are more people living in the property than there are bedrooms a water meter is more expensive.

Have you thought about including water bills in the rent? You now know what the yearly water bills are so divide by 12 and add 10-15% (to cover empty periods) and add that figure to the monthly rent next time you put new tenants in.

Comment

All the properties I have rented have had a metered water bill. It's swings and roundabouts really.

Just opened my water bill today and due to overpayment this year I shall enjoy paying just £10 a month next year. Last house had the water trickling down the back of the toilet pan and that cost me IIRC £37 a month! (LL refused to fix it).

The house I rented before that flooded and we had an indoor pool downstairs. The cost of the unwanted water was only around £40 extra. I didn't see the point in asking LL to cover that, we both had losses and not as if anyone would inspect pipes under floor to see if the idiot plumber when building the house used wrong sized pipe bend joint.
              I'm a good tenant with great landlords
              I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Why tell them it's furnished...
                Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by rajeshk4u View Post
                  Just getting frustrated with water companies that charge you for water when property is empty but furnished. No water is being used, but it is their policy to charge. Grossly unfair.

I have told the water company to turn off the water as the property is empty and but they wanted to charge me to turn off the water. So no benefit of calling them to turn off to save water bill.

Is installing a water meter worth it?
                  If its a small property which only ever has 1 or 2 tenants, its worth getting a meter.

Before you have a meter installed, you should have all your water connections and surrounding areas inspected by a qualified plumber to ensure there are no existing leaks and to cure any potential problems such as old fittings/taps/connectors etc.

I would concur with the others that when you have a larger property (2/3 bed or more), its not worth having a meter.

I keep getting pestered by my water company to have a meter fitted but by their calculations, I would not be better off and I would have to increase my rents to cover the charges (I have a HMO).
                  Natural selection is a wonderful thing
                  You shall know them by their fruit
                  Saying "Never say never", says it

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                    Why tell them it's furnished...
                    I believe some water companies request inspections or do random ones due to people telling fibs?
                    Natural selection is a wonderful thing
                    You shall know them by their fruit
                    Saying "Never say never", says it

Comment

Originally posted by Scrungy View Post
                      I believe some water companies request inspections or do random ones due to people telling fibs?
                      I've never been asked by the water co whether my (vacant) property is furnished or not, when they waive the charges during voids. (Council tax is an entirely different matter though)

Comment

In the area where I rent properties, I have some with and some without water meters, the water supplier being the same in both cases. When an unmetered property suffers a void, the supplier does not charge for water in any shape or form. If however the property is metered then rainwater disposal and other standing charges have to be paid despite no water being used.

P.P.
                        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X