Neighbours noisy-same landlord as me-can I sue landlord or withhold rent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbours noisy-same landlord as me-can I sue landlord or withhold rent?

My landlord has turned the flats next to me into short term rentals(he owns the block). As a result we now have people coming and going - shouting and banging at all hours. I've asked them to stop-they won't. Landlord couldn't care less-rich **** only cares about money. I'm supposed to have quiet enjoyment right? Is it possible to sue landlord for past rent as I am not able to enjoy property quietly? Or if I paid less rent and LL took me to court would I have a case that the flat is worth less as because of his business decision I cannot enjoy the flat like before?

I believe noise issues are a matter between you and the neighbor not the landlord. Sucks a bit as theres nothing worse than noisy neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by jjones View Post
      My landlord has turned the flats next to me into short term rentals(he owns the block). As a result we now have people coming and going - shouting and banging at all hours. I've asked them to stop-they won't. Landlord couldn't care less-rich **** only cares about money. I'm supposed to have quiet enjoyment right?
      Quiet enjoyment doesn't literally mean 'peace and quiet'; it means LL basically not interfering with you having exclusive possession of the rental property.

Is it possible to sue landlord for past rent as I am not able to enjoy property quietly? Or if I paid less rent and LL took me to court would I have a case that the flat is worth less as because of his business decision I cannot enjoy the flat like before?
      The LL is not responsible for the behaviour/actions of his tenants, and no, you can't sue your LL or withhold rent - well, you could, but you'd be unlikely to win if it ended up in court. Your dispute with noisy neighbours is between you and your neighbour, the same as if you were both owner-occupiers. Contact the EHO/Noise abatement team at your local council.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X