Can I as L exclude a garage from a let property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fridaypassion
    replied
    Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately it turns out the property has sold! Gutted! Very unusual to have a garage on the sorts of properties we were looking at. We will keep an eye out anyway.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    Yes, you can exclude parts of the property in the contract (assuming it's not a flat where the lease says it can only be let as a whole). As oaktree says, it should be made crystal clear what's excluded in the contract - if necessary, include a drawn plan. Also bear in mind that it could be tricky if you need access via the rental property, so easiest to buy a property with a garage accessible without needing the T's permission.

Leave a comment:

• oaktree
    replied
    I don't see why not, we have plenty of landlords who do that.

However, you have to consider things like power to the garage. Is there any? lighting, sockets etc. If so you will need to agree with the tenant about use of electricity if you intend to use it. Also access may be an issue; is there anywhere else to park a car for the tenant? is there a driveway? if the tenant parks on the drive will it impede acceess to the garage if you want get at your car.

Make sure you cover all the baes and that it is crystal clear in the tenancy agreement that the garage is not included.

Leave a comment:

• Can I as L exclude a garage from a let property?

We have a couple birds we are hoping to kill with one stone! We are looking to purchase our second rental property and I'm also wanting to find a garage or lockup locally to me to store a car in over the winter. We saw a local property (sold unfortunately) which was ideal for us to let and it had a detached garage at the rear of the property on the far side of a shared access road.

Would it be acceptable for me to let out the house and make a provision in the AST that the garage is separate from the property and not included as part of the property for the tenant?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X