New Wiring Regulations

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Wiring Regulations


    Can anyone please advise me on the following?

    The tenant of my property (who just happens to be a qualified electrician) tells me the entire house requires rewiring to conform to the new regulations. I am aware of the new regulations the came into effect this year surrounding Part P, but was under the impression this meant that all new work must to completed by a Certified person. Do the new regs also state all wiring that may be deemed out of date must be updated? Any details surrounding all this would be greatly appreciated.


  • #2
    You are quite right about new work but it is extremely unlikely that the house needs rewiring, certainly not if its been done in the last fifty years or so! The wiring does not have to be brought up to current requirements as long as it is safe. Sounds like your tenant is seeing the possibility of a nice little earner. Try asking him what needs doing and why and tell him that you need three quotes anyway. If that doesn't put him off get at least one quote, with reasons, from a major company. They may try to get business but can't afford to actually lie about what needs to be done.


    • #3

      No AFAIK your sparks is talking rubbish. There's no legislation which states you have to bring your electrical installation up to a specific new standard, but obviously if you do decide to rewire or whatever, then the new work does need to conform, both in terms of how it's done and who actually does it.

      However, of course that your current installation might actually be a complete liability, in which case you'd be a fool not to take your tenant's advice! What exactly does he claim is wrong with it?


      • #4
        Thanks for the info.

        At the moment I've just got a 3rd hand message though my Agent from the tenant that it requires rewiring, with no reason why. In return I've just ask for a detailed quote but as MrWoof stated I intend get get someone else in the double check what he is saying.

        I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The house was built in the 1960 and a part from a few places I should imagine its old the old wiring.

        I'll keep you posted on his response.


        • #5
          If it was built in the 60s (as was my own house) there should be no problem at all with the wiring but do check that any additional sockets that have been put in are wired correctly. After living in my house for eight years, I discovered that the previous owner had wired two double sockets from an original single using lighting cable . I also found a socket wired with bell wire.


          • #6
            But surely none of thats ground to rewire the whole house


            • #7
              No, I got a local electrician in, he rewired the dodgy sockets and pronounced the rest of the wiring OK. Last time I heard of a house being rewired, it was to replace the old round pin sockets.


              • #8
                Electrician tennant.

                In response to your post, you are correct in saying Part 'P' came into effect in Jan this year and effects NEW work. To ensure your property is in a satisfactory condition, you need to have a Periodic inspection carried out. I would suggest independantly of your tennant. This should be carried out by an APPROVED contractor. This is not part P approved domestic installer, as they are not assesed. Please see my earlier post, or email me if you require further clarification on this.
                Regards Elektratek


                Elektratek Ltd.

                For information only. No responsability is taken for any actions performed by use of this posted message.


                • #9

                  Originally posted by Elektratek
                  To ensure your property is in a satisfactory condition, you need to have a Periodic inspection carried out.
                  No you don't. You may be strongly advised to have a PI carried out, and indeed, you may be a fool not to do so; however there is no need to about it.


                  • #10
                    There are no new regulations that would require a rewire.

                    You should consider getting a Periodic Inspection Report done by a good electrician but dont be fooled into thinking that because they are "approved" by some company that is any reflection on their competance.

                    Regarding whether you must have a Periodic Inspection Report there is no clear cut answer on that but read the following link for a good summary.



                    • #11
                      A fuller answer to the rewire question.

                      Your tennant says you need to have a re-wire. All other post, replies and suppositions are very general, and the only way to tell is to see the installation. As you probably wouldn't know what you are looking at, as i previously advised, you need to have a period inspection report carried out on the property. This is the only recognised way of assessing an existing installation, and should be carried out by a competent person. i would highly recommend an approved contractor at this point, someone who is a member of the NICEIC or ECA. The reason for this recommendation, is that to become approved, electrical contractors/electricians need to be assesed, which includes inspection and testing, and verification, and having the C&G 2391 qualification. Once this has been done, it is a formal record, of what has been inspected and tested, and a schedule of results are obtained, as opposed to a sparky waking round and saying it fine with no comeback! When you have this report in hand, a list of remedial works will be generated as part of it if any are needed. These will have their own relevant certificates as they are carried out even if they are minor works.

                      Legislation does not say you need a Periodic inspection report to be carried out, but if you go to the government web site of the ODPM, you will find you have a duty of care to lett your place in a safe condition. This therefore means a periodic inspection, as there is no other formerley recognised way of assessing an existing installation to see if is in infact safe. The reports follow the model given by the IEE (Institute of Electrical Engineers) who write our regulations BS7671.

                      Any sensible electrician qualified to carry out an inspection, would not advise a non skilled person on what to check, as the criteria is long and extensive, and requires a trained eye. My advise to you is as per my origonal post, -have a periodic inspection carried out by an approved contractor, and go from there. Ask the electrician carrying out the testing if he has the C&G2391 and if he says what's that? BEWARE. If he says 'yes', then you will have to varify this with him yourself, as we don't often carry our qualifications around with us - now there's an idea....

                      Regards Elektratek

                      Elektratek Ltd.

                      For information only. No responsability is taken for any actions performed by use of this posted message.


                      Latest Activity


                      • Help re flatsharing legal position!
                        Hello, I moved into a friend's flat when she moved out of London last year. It was agreed that I would pay market rate, would not need to pay a deposit, be able to bring various items into the flat, work from home, have a certain amount of storage etc.etc. I was also to share with my friend's then...
                        24-07-2017, 13:18 PM
                      • Reply to Help re flatsharing legal position!
                        I think your friend Emma sounds like a bit of a plonker to be honest and I'd let her get on and deal with the problematic tenant herself.

                        Any landlord that allows a tenant to withhold rent and then support them in such a way sadly deserves what's coming.

                        Unfortunately for...
                        24-07-2017, 22:36 PM
                      • Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?

                        There is a derelict property with good potential in my area. The owner tried to sell it in a local auction few years back and did not get what he wanted (actually did but got greedy). Now he can even sell it for cheaper than what he was getting in the auction. Property has good potential...
                        23-07-2017, 16:52 PM
                      • Reply to Structuring a deal - Purchase Option/Overage Agreement?
                        So you are wanting to act as the owners agent, submit the outline planning agreement, represent the property at the national auction?

                        Surely he simply signs to confirm agreed disbursements and your commission percentage?

                        Are you able to say which university city this is?...
                        24-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                      • Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                        hi there

                        had tenants in a property for 4 years. Looking at selling the property for various reasons and they are interested in buying but need more time to get a deposit together. Has anyone ever set up a deal like the rent to buy schemes you used to get with new builds?

                        24-07-2017, 19:54 PM
                      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                        Do they have a mortgage in principle? Will they show you bank statements / letters from parents to confirm that deposit is almost there?...
                        24-07-2017, 22:21 PM
                      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                        "More time" - days, weeks, months, years?

                        Can you wait that time? How long would it take you to evict to sell with vacant possession? How much of a possible hit would you need to take to sell with tenant in place?
                        24-07-2017, 21:44 PM
                      • Freeholder Scaffolding Over My Flat
                        I have a leasehold studio flat with a garden in London that I rent out to tenants.
                        Recently, the freeholder gave me three days notice that he was extending part of the building my flat is joined to and he would need to put scaffolding on my flat roof and in my garden. I immediately objected saying...
                        24-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                        At the moment you they pay rent and it's your property.

                        With rent-to-buy you are proposing that they agree, in principle, to buy the property off you after a certain time for a price agreed now.
                        And at the end of that time they can still walk away without buying.

                        In the...
                        24-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                      • Reply to Tenants want to buy, advice needed
                        Just rent to them while they buy it and sell it to them as though they weren't tenants.
                        Anything else is fraught.

                        When the sale completes, they'll be their own landlord - so the lease will be academic.
                        Give them the deposit back and you're done....
                        24-07-2017, 20:28 PM