Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How clean is clean during a tenancy please

Hi
    Having had a really bad experience with my previous tenant over the way in which the property had been left - when the new went in - every surface had been redecorated right through the property so it was spotless.
    Kitchen had a new hob and oven and son (who is a plumber) had professionally de-limescaled the bathroom within an inch of it's life so the property (2 bed bung) really was as good as I could get it - even down to new carpets (with one exception the spare bedroom which had had the carpet replaced the previous year).
    AST. Tenant is a single lad in late 20's. Quiet and pays rent on time, every time.
    I've now done 5 inspections of the property (every 6 months)asking each time if there are any problems and at each inspection have made comment on the state of the oven/hob and the limescale building up i the bathroom.
    I know everyone has different standards of cleanliness and his are clearly very different to my own, but at what point (if any) may I ask for some kind of improvement in standards. I don't want to step out of line in what I ask of him.
    The garden is also showing signs of neglect - but this he tends to have someone come in and blitz occasionally - though at present it's in need of tlc.
    Any help appreciated - thanks.

I think that if he is paying his rent on time and otherwise being a good tenant, you should stop worrying about the limescale and the hob. As long as he returns the property to you as he got it, minus fair wear and tear, it's his business how he lives in the meantime.

If he doesn't (return it clean and undamaged), then you can claim the cost of remedying any damage/cleaning from his deposit.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

How a tenant chooses to keep the property during their tenancy is no concern of their LL. It is how the property is returned at the end that counts. You can obviously make suggestions of how you would like it improved, but so long as the tenant's neglect is not actually damaging to the property, it is difficult to enforce. Do you have a deposit (properly protected) and was an inventory signed and accepted at the start of the tenancy?

Comment

I agree with the above responses. We all have totally different standards. Worry about it at the end of the tenancy!
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Sounds like a resp T (single youn male, paying full rent on time)Wish there were more like him to go around. There is litle you can do during T re cleanliness & garden esp if you have not provided any essential equip eg lawnmower, vaccum cleaner the T may not own. Continued adverse comment on state of cleanliness at each inspection may be counter-productive and result in T refusing you further entry, esp at 24 hr reqd Notice. Then you may not be able to identify property defects which are your resp.
          However, if you have an ind pre-T inspection report,signed by T, pref with photos, this is the baseline for condition at end of T. and poss deposit deductions. Make sure T has full copy of this report and explain that is the standard to which he should aspire at all times.
          Leave it at that until T ends.

Comment

Thanks

Many thanks for all your advice.
            I simply wondered what my rights were during tenancy.

This is my first and only property and I had an awful experience with the first tenants who left the place is a diabolic state after only 6 months.

Yes there is a deposit in place held by appropriate body.
            Inventory condition at take over of tenancy in place.I also have photos.
            Since the heating is Storage heaters and expensive and he's on his own I've also had additional insulation put into the property since he moved in - I'm not unreasonable and want him to be happy in 'his home'.

He's happy for me to do inspections whenever I've asked and has always said - 'just help yourself to access' but I make a point of only going in if he's there as I need to be sure no problems 'he' has are ignored or missed.

I don't want to 'interfere' with T's way of life - it's just nowhere near what I would normally expect but not to the point of a H&S issue

He is as you say paying on time and knowing a little about his circumstances I suspect he wants to be in it for the very long haul so I don't especially want to lose him.

As I said before I simply wondered what my rights were during tenancy as this is my first experience of longer term occupation.
            Thanks everyone for your response.

Comment

I can understand your concern after your previous experience, and have faced the same dilema. I have gently mentioned it during an inspection and had to note it on the inspection report. It doesnt feel good, but dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. Rightly or wrongly I think "a stitch in time saves nine" As the real concern is not there inability to clean to a high standard, but how the property will be after a period of not being cleaned properly.

The worry is that at the end of the tenancy agreement, they will still not return the property as found, as they don't have the same standards you have.

Have any other landlords being able to show dirt on photographs?
              Guess you are a like minded heavy user of white vinegar!

Comment

Limescale is a real bugbear for me also, and the reason I provide tenants with a water softener and salt. Of course then, you get the real delinquents who will not put the free salt in the machine!
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Having a son who is a plumber and spends his time replacing shower cubicles because limescale build up eventually causes leaks to seals, and taps because eventually it causes problems requiring the taps to need replacing is why the limescale is one of my biggest concerns. The fact that son is a plumber doesn't mean I can get the jobs done any cheaper - he has to live so I pay him the going rate if he needs to do any work for me. But the limescale is also causing the bath & basin to lose their shine.

If this tenant is in long term I guess I just have to accept that at the end of the tenancy I shall have to do a full bathroom refurb due to 'wear and tear' if I'm unable to do anything during the tenancy.

I've already accepted that I'm likely to have to replace the hob - but what if some of this work needs doing BEFORE he wants to end the tenancy and he encounters problems with the fittings & fixtures. Can I ask him to make a contribution because he doesn't maintain to a high standard or do I have to accept his standard of wear and tear. He's been in 2.5 years already and things are looking 'tired'

Comment

I sympathise. Maybe you or your Mrs if you are male could give him a 'motherly' lesson on using limelite. Would that work do you think?
                    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Limescale is a bugger but I really don´t think you should go on about it. It isn´t after all the worst thing in the world. At the end of the day he is the one living in it. I have a tenant who has been in the property for 12 years or so and it has deteriorated tremendously I have now told him that if he will do something about decorating I will put in new carpets but if he won´t then it will have to stay like that until he goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampton View Post
                        Limescale is a bugger but I really don´t think you should go on about it. It isn´t after all the worst thing in the world. At the end of the day he is the one living in it. I have a tenant who has been in the property for 12 years or so and it has deteriorated tremendously I have now told him that if he will do something about decorating I will put in new carpets but if he won´t then it will have to stay like that until he goes.
                        Worth remembering that worn carpets can be a safety hazard. If this is the case in your property then you have an obligation to replace/repair. T has no obligation to redecorate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X