Beko Fridge Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beko Fridge Issues

Hi there I don't know if any of you are aware but there has been a current product safety notice about a potential fire risk with beko fridge freezers
    http://www.beko.co.uk/ . I have one of the models they list on their website in the house I rent from my landlord . My question is this , due to the nature of our jobs neither me nor my partner are able to be in during the day when Beko would like to come around and carry out the possible repair and beko are not offering any out of hours or weekend repair service either which is quite inconvenient .We also cant take a day of work either due to our jobs and so we would like for our landlord to come round and let the engineer in and supervise the work. We have suggested this to him and he does not want to do it . IS there any way I can get him to do this seeing as the fridge freezer is a fire risk

You say "I have one of the models they list on their website in the house I rent from my landlord".

Who owns the fridge/freezer?

Comment

Even if LL owns f/f, I would suggest it is Ts resp to arrange access for minor repairs to be conducted during the T.
      Do Ts not take days off this time of year or have time off for dental appts etc? Can they not make arrangements with a friend or neighbour? They would have to for any large deliveries of their own purchases.
      LL is not a concierge! IMO

Comment

Originally posted by jay3588 View Post
        We also cant take a day of work either due to our jobs
        I would complain to your employer. You've statutory rights to paid holiday if you're in full time employment .

Yes LL has an obligation to ensure that the equipment is safe and fully functional. But I do not think this extends to sitting around your home whilst workman work, nor is it particularly advisable to enter peoples property when they're not there for risks of accusations afterwards.
        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

sorry perhaps I should explain .

The fridge is owned and provided by the landlord .

In terms of my job , I am self employed .I am currently working freelance in a role on a major infrastructure project , we are already 4 weeks behind schedule and things are getting pretty stressful at the job and other contractors being able to do their job is dependent on my role being fulfilled usual kind of catch 22 , so time off is not an option and could in fact loose me future possible work including an opportunity of employment which is something im looking at for security as me and my partner want to start a family

In terms of my partner she has currently been placed on a secondment in an office in a neighboring city during the week so leaves the house 6am every morning religiously to get the train on time . She could take time off for it if she wanted but would have to give 3 weeks notice minimum and then with it being the summer holidays she isn't guaranteed the time off as people with kids have already filled the holiday schedule . also she hasn't actually got any statutory holidays left as she used them all up earlier this year and don't get renewed holiday allowance till september so time off is now at her employers discretion

I have come up with a compromise , I can let the engineer in in the morning and then go to work as usual if my landlord would be prepared to come round and lock up after the engineer at a pre arranged time , or if the engineer calls my ll when he has almost done e . I appreciate that usually small things like this would be my responsibility but due to the current work situation it really isn't achievable .If this wasn't such a massive safety issue I wouldn't be concerned with having the landlord round to sort it .Like we waited 4to5 weeks to have someone come round to fix the tumble dryer as we had to arrange it round our work schedules so its not a case of me expecting the landlord to come and do for me because I'm far too busy or important to deal with it its the fact that I have work commitments so I cant but Beko seem to be indicating that this is a serious safety issue .

Also as my landlord owns this property surely it is in his interests to make sure that anything that can be done to prevent it being gutted by fire is done , ive seen fires involving fridges before and they are quite nasty and would certainly destroy the nice new kitchen my landlord had installed 18 months to 2 years ago

Comment

If you wake up with a bad case of sickness & diarrhea - I reckon you might take the morning off.....arrange such a morning !
            A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
            W.Churchill

Comment

Given your work ethic, if you owned the property and the f/f what would you do?
              I doubt your mortgage lender would be prepared to send an employee to house sit to protect their asset, let alone the CEO.
              Beko will claim the risk is low and only x cases have been reported.
              Did you inform Beko that LL was the owner so he should receive all corr or imply you are the 'owner'?
              No repair to LL property should be undertaken by T unless written agreement is supplied in advance by LL except for emergecy repair, which this is not.
              You have a holiday window in Sept,arrange nec repairs for then

Comment

Originally posted by jay3588 View Post
                but Beko seem to be indicating that this is a serious safety issue.
                Originally posted by mariner View Post
                Beko will claim the risk is low and only x cases have been reported.
                You have a holiday window in Sept,arrange nec repairs for then
                I’ve got a Beko fridge/freezer in my own home, we’ve had it for 9 years. My OH thinks that we shouldn’t even bother getting in touch with Beko because the risk is so small. But I’ve decided I will, but only in a few weeks time after we’ve been away, so that I can be confident I’ll be around for any date the engineer suggests.

Comment

Isn't it just a couple of Beko models manufactured in the last three years which are affected?
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Isn't it just a couple of Beko models manufactured in the last three years which are affected?
                    No. It is 16 models made between the years 2000 and 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                      No repair to LL property should be undertaken by T unless written agreement is supplied in advance by LL except for emergecy repair, which this is not.
                      I'm sorry, I did not see a copy of the agreement between LL & T so thanks for updating us as to the exact provisions of the agreement!!
                      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Just thought id update anyway , I have my partners parents coming to stay with us for a week at the end of the month so we have managed to arrange with them for it to be fixed then

I thought about pulling a sickie but tbh the money I would loose and the stress it would cause at the job wouldnt be worth it . Not to mention the fact that I am currently being considered for an offer of employment based on my performance on this project and so id like to show im as hard working and reliable as possible pulling sickies isnt exactly going to prove that .

In terms of the fridge freezer ,I dont see it as an urgent need to be fixed , if the product was that dangerous they would have issued a full reacall .

In terms of if i owned the property I would either have to run the risk of fire or buy a new appliance

this may seem a bit of a smart arse comment but I wouldn't have bought a beko appliance in the first place , Ive had nothing but problems with them over the years in various properties and see them as a pretty cheap brand

Also the metaphor with the mortgage lender is not the same . My landlords job is to rent and manage the property and matters directly relating to repairs whereas the job of the mortgage lender is simply to lend me the money in order to purchase the house what I do with it after that is mostly up to me . Its not like in a pain tenant ringing him up every 5 minutes either I generally leave him be and he leaves us be . Last time I had to call him for a repair was November last year and we always pay runt fully and on time . I was only asking this one favor from him you would have thought it would be the least he could do .

Comment

Do you have a shed or garage with electric ?

Could you shove said fridge into it and either leave unlocked or key under whatever and instruct engineer to fix there if you cannot get time off work ?

At the end of the day you don't want to arrive home to everything having gone up in smoke. Although I do believe that a LL cannot offload repair obligations onto their tenants and your LL is now aware that there is an item of his property that is electrically unsafe. Personally I arrange everything but my LLs are over 2 hours away and I have friends that I can call on if need be.

How did you find property ? if through a LA on a "find only" basis then they may be able to attend property for the appointment (be aware they will probably charge a whopper of a fee to do so though).
                          I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                          I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't wait until the end of the month. It could burst into flames before then!

You mention "total recalls" - Beko have advertised extensively (national news, newspapers, radio, internet etc) that some models are affected and the faulty part wll be replaced free of charge. It's never possible to locate all people who buy anything (cookers/freezers/vacuum cleaners etc) because people pass them on to others, they buy them as gifts, they move house, they sell things secondhand and so on.

Don't you have a neighbour you could leave your key with? Or even hide the key somewhere and tell Beko where it is and then post your keys back through the letterbox.

Comment

The roof on the shed isn't perfectly watertight and I store lots of my tools in there so there isnt a lot of room and I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about the idea of leaving it unlocked etc . No garage either .

We have decided to wait till the end of the month . To be honest its like 2 weeks away that my partners parents will be visiting and the fridge freezer has been in the house since its purchase brand new in 2005 so we have decided its not really that high a risk .We are going to keep an eye on it and if anything strange starts happening we will stop using the appliance right away . Besides its not like Beko are going to be able to immediately fit us in a repair anyway , when I spoke to them last week the soonest they could get someone out in my area was 10 days and the gentleman on the phone advised that I would be fine using the appliance in the meantime

And I didn't mean total recall as in tracing all the owners of appliances , I meant if the product was that unsafe surely Beko would have advised all users to cease using the appliance immediately and arrange for a recall of all affected models

In terms of neighbors the house next door is currently vacant , and the neighbors on the other side only moved in last month so we don't know them that well yet . We where meant to be having a BBQ with them a few weeks back to welcome them / get to know them but the British summertime weather has been far from accommodating . The only neighbors who I would trust to this are quite an elderly couple living across the way from us but to be honest I don't want to be hassling them that much especially seeing as the wife hasn't been in the best of health recently and like I say we have arranged for my partners parents to do it . Ive already ok'd waiting till the end of the month with the landlord and he said just to keep him updated if anything changes or if the engineer leaves any paperwork he might require a copy of

Thanks for all the help and good suggestions though people its greatly appreciated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X