3rd party debt order timing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd party debt order timing

Does anyone have any information on the time schedule of processing a 3rd party debt order ie from sending off the form to the account being frozen and then onto the time to court hearing?

From looking at threads on 3rd party debt orders in general I am coming to the conclusion that landlords know little about this method and are maybe put off by using it. Perhaps it is less successful than an attachment of earnings?

Comment

Originally posted by rich hand View Post
      Does anyone have any information on the time schedule of processing a 3rd party debt order ie from sending off the form to the account being frozen and then onto the time to court hearing?
      I enquired about this of my local court a few years ago, and as far as I can recall the answer was totally vague - as in, when your request comes to the top of the in tray, we'll action it. Hopeless in terms of timing things correctly so you hit the account just after pay-day, anyway: so I didn't bother and went for an AofE order instead, and got paid in full (over about 15 months) that way.

Comment

ok, well I am guessing that once the 3rd party debt order form has been posted to the courts then a week later the bank account will be frozen. 1 month later there would be a court date.

It is crazy that a specific date can not be specified for the bank account to be frozen. What can the motive possibly benot to allow this?

Comment

I tried this method, got account frozen with £1,800 in account, after 3 weeks, but as hearing was 6 weeks away tenant went to court and asked for account to be unfrozen in order to be able to pay rent and have money to live off. On 2 occasions this happened, which resulted in the £1,800 be brought down to next to nothing. I was livid and expressed this to the Judge that the tenant can put in false rental claims with the money coming out of the frozen portion of their account, when new HB money was being added each fortnight. Go the attachment of earnings route as well.

Comment

I have successfully used TPDO - but getting the timing right is impossible because it only freezes what is there on the day of the order - and the court will process the order on whatever date they see fit - depending on their workload.

#Rugbyroom - not doubting what you say, but did you not raise the issue of 'false' rent claims when the T applied for the order to be amended? You should have been party to that decision. Too late after it has been done.

Comment

Just when I was thinking warrant of execution seems pointless I am now thinking the same of TPDO.

Attachment of Earnings does seem the best.

Comment

FYI I have successfully used an Attachment of Earnings order when I knew where the tenant worked (obviously!) but had no clue where he was living. I wrote to the court asking for permission to serve the documentation at the place of work, and was allowed to do so (I believe it's discretionary though).

Comment

I also applied successfully through work address, using N244.

If you use a persons old address for AEO (not applying through work address) the court bailiff may still track the debtor at the work address for details after the debtor fails to respond. I am not sure what the likely outcomes are of this are however.

Comment

Hi Snorkerz,

The tenant was able on 2 occasions to get a judge in Birmingham to hear the matter without myself being given any notice, I only found out that the tenant had taken most of the frozen funds when I attended court.

Comment

The tenant (debtor) should never get ear of it, surely?

Comment

The tenant (debtor) should never get ear of it, surely?
                        When you send the forms to the court, you get an 'interim' order that freezes everything. When the bank get their copy, the debtor will find out because a) they can't get any money and b) the bank will almost certainly send them a copy. A while later, there will be a hearing which will result in a final order, and that is when the bank write you a cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                          When you send the forms to the court, you get an 'interim' order that freezes everything. When the bank get their copy, the debtor will find out because a) they can't get any money and b) the bank will almost certainly send them a copy. A while later, there will be a hearing which will result in a final order, and that is when the bank write you a cheque.
                          Is this the same or a close relative as a "garnishee" order? For that procedure to be successful there has to be money in the bank account or money owed to the debtor in question

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                            The hearing should be for the creditor though, not the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterday View Post
                              Is this the same or a close relative as a "garnishee" order? For that procedure to be successful there has to be money in the bank account or money owed to the debtor in question
                              Same thing - just in small claims they tend to prefer to avoid Latin.

The hearing should be for the creditor though, not the tenant.
                              Both parties attend and the bank will either attend or more likely write to the court. Until the final order is issued, nothing is assured, and this is the debtors chance to stop the final order being issued (and therefore release their funds).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant abandoning property
                                Ms London
                                What can be done about tenants just leaving the property without notice, nor paying rent before the end of the fixed term AST?

I'm talking about the rented room on AST in London started September last year. I've got no forwarding address and suspect they left abroad. Can I put it in court?...
                                05-06-2019, 22:30 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant abandoning property
                                leaseholder64
                                You won't get money from the UK job unless you find out about and request an attachment of earnings. The payment will be subject to affordability....
                                19-06-2019, 23:45 PM
                                mariner
                                T leaving keys in the property does not end the Tenancy, unless you accept them.
                                19-06-2019, 23:22 PM
                              • Live in landlord
                                Schie
                                Hi - I have 3 bed house. I have converted one reception into room where I live and I have rented out 3 bedrooms upstairs (2 double bed and 1 single).

I'm thinking of doing loft conversion that's mean 4th bedroom. Do I need hmo license if I do loft conversion?
                                19-06-2019, 22:40 PM
                              • Reply to Live in landlord
                                leaseholder64
                                You need an HMO licence even without the conversion, assuming double occupation of at least one double bedroom. This assumes there is no selective licensing for smaller HMOs.

You need to obey HMO regulations, even if there are only 4 residents, in total.
                                19-06-2019, 23:14 PM
                              • Council tax issue
                                buttons
                                I served a section 21 notice which ended on 2nd June on a tenant. The reason was the tenant had not claimed their housing benefit. They finally got this sorted and I got paid in April then again in May. I went to the house on 22 May, the tenant was just going into the house, the first time I had seen...
                                19-06-2019, 22:39 PM
                              • Reply to Council tax issue
                                scampicat
                                I had a similar problem with a tenant. I had to provide a tenancy agreement with a note written by me explaining that the tenancy was relinquishd early, by mutual agreement. I gave the date that she was responsible for the tenancy for (which was a month later than she said). A couple of months later...
                                19-06-2019, 22:49 PM
                              • 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
                                daz87
                                All,

First time landlord that is moving with work and renting out home.

Perspective tenants, working couple one on maternity, a number of children who are keen for longer tenancy agreement than 6 months due to schools and settling in.

They have a guarantor,...
                                19-06-2019, 14:59 PM
                              • Reply to 1st time landlord, 'enthusiastic' estate agent, questionable tenants.
                                2006holly
                                Walk away from them, there’ll be plenty more potential tenants.
                                letting agent I engaged agreed to let my flat without giving me all the info on the tenant. It’s been a nightmare of constant late payments, so many lies by agents that are still coming to light, tenants income wasn’t verified,...
                                19-06-2019, 22:22 PM
                                Ms London
                                so the picture of an empty room with the keys on the table is good enough as evidence?
                                And I'll take it to the court but if they've got a job in Ireland, not in the UK, I'll not get my rent back? And if they do get a job in the UK, automatically they will be made to pay me the rent that they owe?...
                                19-06-2019, 20:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X