Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit admin deductions.

Hello,

Having disputed my landlords attempts to deduct money for damage that did not happen. They are now saying that they will back charge for 'contract renewal admin fees' even though they agreed not to charge anything for this.

Can they do this?

Just to add that the deposit wasn't protected and no inventories were done.

All help greatly appreciatted.

thanks

ryan

Originally posted by ukcarmo View Post
    Hello,

Having disputed my landlords attempts to deduct money for damage that did not happen. They are now saying that they will back charge for 'contract renewal admin fees' even though they agreed not to charge anything for this.

Can they do this?

thanks

ryan
    What does your tenancy say about you paying landlords renewal fees?
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Hello,

Can they do this?

thanks

ryan
      If you signed nothing to begin with to allow them to deduct such fees from your deposit, they cannot do so now. In the absence of an inventory they will struggle to justify any deductions for cleaning or damage, either.

Send them a short letter/email headed Letter Before Action demanding they return your deposit in full by x date (give them five working days) or you will press 'send' on the mopneycalimonline form you have prepared expressly for the purpose and a copy of which you attach for their perusal. http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/o...mcol/index.htm

This often does the trick without the need for further action, but if your LL perists in being block-headed about it you will have to see them in court. You sound to have a good case though.

Are you dealing with your LL or his agent, by the way?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Very fast response thanks.

So the last contract states that the cost of the contract shall be bourne by the landlord, renwals will be 50% the responsibility of the tenant. The current contract was not renewed. Earlier contracts (dating four years) were.

ryan

Comment

This is a private landlord. I sent the letter saying that she cannot provide evidence that damage occured and thus we wouldlike full refund or will go to small-claims court. At this point she states she would like four years worth of back dated admin fees, even though she has acknowledged in an email that she never asked for the admin fees.

Comment

So earlier contracts did not require you to pay renewal costs?
            [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Very fast response thanks.

So the last contract states that the cost of the contract shall be bourne by the landlord, renwals will be 50% the responsibility of the tenant. The current contract was not renewed. Earlier contracts (dating four years) were.

ryan
              Does it say how much the renewal fee is/was?
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

yes earlier contracts stated at renewal fee was required, however she said she would not charge this. Surely as these contracts have ceased she cannot now enforce them?

Comment

fee would be £75 a time

Comment

yes earlier contracts stated at renewal fee was required, however she said she would not charge this. Surely as these contracts have ceased she cannot now enforce them?
                    She has said she would not charge these? or has not charged these?

Comment

Yes, she can; e.g. if there were any unpaid rent, it would still be owing even after the tenancy ended.

Do you have any written evidence that LL agreed not to charge the fees? The fact that she acknowledges that she never asked for them doesn't, in itself, get you off the hook.

Comment

At this point she states she would like four years worth of back dated admin fees, even though she has acknowledged in an email that she never asked for the admin fees.
                        What exactly did she say in the email? This could be important because if she said "I did not ask for them" that could be very different from "You don't have to pay for them"

Either way, for the moment,your line should be - it was agreed that these fees were not due and you cannot reverse that decision now. See how that goes. If LL pursues it the wording of the email is important because she has up to 6 years to pursue a debt - I don't think that the fact that she didn't ask for payment at the time will make a difference. If she said you didn't have to pay the fees then you can argue that she cannot now pursue them, possibly estoppel applies.

Comment

thanks for your help.

verbally she agreed not to charge. in writing she has said , "(I) never asked you for admin fees" and in her last email "As mentioned before, I have borne the cost of renewing your contract every single time now. You have not once paid towards this, so this amount is still outstanding. I was not going to pursue this, but may now have to reconsider this."

ryan

Comment

Then I think she has a reasonable chance of success if you claim for the deposit and she counterclaims for the admin fees.

Comment

it would seem so, thanks for all you help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
                                by Hudson01
                                But we don't, as said in another post, we are a business and as such we pick and choose whom we feel will be best suited to our properties and will cause the least issues. The real culprits in all of this are the (and previous) governments, who, over many decades, have failed to build enough social...
                                19-05-2022, 18:41 PM
                              • Single parent renting
                                by Dct
                                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                              • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by doobrey
                                My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
                                19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                              • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by HMOmike
                                I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
                                19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
                              • Reply to Single parent renting
                                by Dct
                                She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
                                19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                                by KTC
                                It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
                                19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
                                by HMOmike
                                Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
                                19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by jpkeates
                                The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
                                19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
                              • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by abimsalabim
                                I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                                18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
                                That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
                                19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                              Working...
                              X