X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord & Tenant Act Vs Data Protection Act

Hi

as an agent I am in a dilemma.

I have a tenant demanding their landlords contact details. They have cited the Landlord & Tenant Act and googled the matter! However the landlord does not want me to give out his address and has cited the data protection act... Where do I stand here?

Thanks

It is a criminal offense for you to with-hold this information.

Somewhat worrying that you don't know this.
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

As per the Landlord & Tenant Act you don't have much of a choice as it is clearly stated that not disclosing the information following a written request is a criminal offence (Council to enforce and you could get fined). You did not have to even ask the landlord first...
      Obviously the landlord has cited the data protection act... Everyone cites it when they don't want data disclosure whether they know what they are talking about or not.

Comment

What element of the Data Protection Act would your LL be hiding behind?! There is so much myth and misunderstanding about the scope of this Act...

On a side note, does the L&T act not state that the T needs address for serving of notices? Which need not be the personal address of LL? Would providing a C/o address in this instance not suffice?
        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

There are two different provisions:

Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/1

Section 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/31/section/48

Comment

Originally posted by brightonandy View Post
            Hi

as an agent I am in a dilemma.

I have a tenant demanding their landlords contact details. They have cited the Landlord & Tenant Act and googled the matter! However the landlord does not want me to give out his address and has cited the data protection act... Where do I stand here?

Thanks
            As above, what act exactly are they citing?
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X