Joint Tenancy gone wrong!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint Tenancy gone wrong!!

Hi i hope someone can give me abit of advice - i entered into a joint tenancy (assured shorthold) last Sept with a friend.

To cut a long story short..........my "friend" hasnt paid her half of Junes rent and this has caused the LL to give us both two months to move out - although this was only given via text message!

I suggested that the LL lets me take over the tenancy - as my "friend" has informed me that she is moving out in two weeks - and from the past lies and false promises of payment, i can guarantee she'll vanish without paying the arrears or bills!

As the LL keeps stating im liable for any arrears, as she knows she wont get any sense out of my friend, i wanted to kick her out and take over the tenancy and bring the arrears up to date.

The problem im facing now is that the LL is allowing her to stay an additional two weeks on the feeble promise she'll pay what she owes (june plus two wks of july). When i asked the LL what happens when she doesnt pay (as i dont see how i can be held responsible for arrears that the LL has allowed her to build up against my will) she states she'll take it out of her deposit.

1) i didnt think LL's could use the deposit (which should be in a DPS but i dont think actually is) to clear arrears and
    2) i have proof that the deposit was paid soley by me! not my friend.

So can i be held responsible for an agreement that the LL has made with the other tenant without my consent?

Can the LL let the other tentant move out with NO written notice and only 10days notice at that?? and then expect me to pay any arrears on top!

is two months notice via a text message from the LL legally sufficient to make me move out?

Can she use MY deposit?

And how do i go about staying in the property after all this?

ps. the other tenant wil also be leaving without clearing utility bills of over £400

Many thanks for any advice/suggestions you can give

Regards

Some friend!
    Whose name are on the utility bills? That is who they will chase for payment.
    Unless the 'text' message was an email with a properly constituted s21/s8 notice attached I doubt any legal validity.
    If deposit is not protected in an approved scheme and reqd info not sent to Ts then LL cannot issue a valid s21.
    s21 is not a Notice to Quit only Notice of Intent to seek a Court repo order after its activation date, which must be at least 2 months after date of s21 service (other conditions may apply dep on type of T)
    OP states they have a joint T which means all AST signatories are 'jointly & severally' liable for all debts, so any deposit paid is at risk irresp of which T paid it.
    On T termination, the deposit is first used to pay for any T damages, any excess can then be used for unpaid overall rent.
    With a joint T the LL can only seek to terminate the whole T. If one T wants to remain they can approach the LL for a new T ,subject to LL approval.
    If one T decides to move out of their own volition, they and remaining T are subject to current ASST T&Cs
    I would suggest OP has serious discussion with current co-T.

Comment

I'm afraid mariner is right. Your main issue is with your co-tenant who is leaving you liable to pay their rent. The landlord has no power to "allow" the other tenant to stay another 2 weeks, as that is already their right. Indeed, you both have the right to stay put until the correct s21 notice has been issued AND a court has granted and enforced possession. Nonetheless rent is still due, and the LL can chase either or both of you for it.

If you really think that the other T is going to disappear without trace, you might want to do all you can to gather information about her. Employers, relatives, next of kin, car registration, NI number. Anything which may help debtors trace her.

(ps I hope you are ignoring the offer to privately email mike69 above who is a 1st time poster here and has not demonstrated any relevant knowledge)
      IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent a Room scheme
        by theartfullodger
        a) so the mobile home does not provide the (very) basic facilities that any tenant or judge would expect for a dwelling....
        b) Agree with jpk: Should it get to court (which is when the issue matters..) can;t see any judge deciding it's anything but a tenancy & you the landlord er... not at...
        24-01-2022, 16:26 PM
      • Rent a Room scheme
        by lgr001
        I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
        24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
      • Reply to Tenant in situ
        by jpkeates
        It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
        The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
        So things that need to be done at the very start...
        24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
      • Tenant in situ
        by Bridge2020
        I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
        Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
        20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
      • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
        by jpkeates
        You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
        If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
        24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
      • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
        by AVJ113
        Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
        24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
      • Regulated Tenancy
        by AVJ113
        I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
        24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
        by DoricPixie
        How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
        24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
        by jpucng62
        Unless it is REALLY cheap - don't!

I inherited a property with a regulated tenant. The rent can only go up once every 2 years, by a specified amount, although more often if you improve the property, but it will always be cheap.

Most tenants have been in a very long time and...
        24-01-2022, 13:58 PM
      • Reply to Tenant in situ
        by Interlaken
        Agree with above but if the property is in poor condition and the tenant elderly (or could be child of tenant who may be middle aged) then steer clear. I would definitely speak with the tenant.
        24-01-2022, 13:30 PM
      Working...
      X