X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Originally posted by applewhite View Post
    signed a AST for six months (due to end August 28th)and paid for six months in advance.

The property was left unlocked and he has not returned the keys.

he has left all of his furniture (bed, desk)

I have instructed a locksmith to change the locks as my priority was to make the property secure.
    I think that you need to urgently change the locks back, because this looks like a very good case to be classed as illegal eviction.

Leave a comment:

• International Student left before end of tenancy term - Not returned keys -

Hi,
    This is my first time posting on the site and I hope someone could give me some advice.

We have been letting our property to an international student. He was sourced by a letting agent and signed a AST for six months (due to end August 28th)and paid for six months in advance.

He contacted me on Saturday to say that he was returning to China (all very sudden) and that he would be leaving on Wednesday (today). His English is not great so I asked him to confirm what the last day he was planning on being at the property would be and he responded with a one word text message of "Wednesday".

I arranged with him to be present for a property check out today - (via a 3rd party inventory company who checked him in)he confirmed via text that he would be there, but he didn't turn up.

The property was left unlocked and he has not returned the keys. The inventory company have advised me that the property is in a real state, it's dirty, he has left all of his furniture (bed, desk) there are cigarette butts on the carpet (it's a no smoking property) and he has written on the wall. You get the idea!

I have instructed a locksmith to change the locks as my priority was to make the property secure.

My question is with regards to the process that I now need to take. Given our communication regarding him leaving the property and the fact that he was due to attend a check out this morning does that constitute him surrendering his tenancy? Basically I don't want to start removing his things until I am clear and as he has not returned the keys I'm not sure where I stand on this.

Bizarrely he sent me an email at 7am this morning saying quite simply "I want my deposit". I have not contacted him yet as I'm waiting for the inventory report to come back. When it does do I also need to take in to account the utility bills that it’s unlikely he has paid?

I hope I haven't rambled too much but hoping to get in all the salient points!

Thanks for any advice!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X