Gas Safety Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Safety Certificate

When my current tenants move out I am putting the property up for sale. However the gas certificate runs out 7 days before they are due to move out. Do I really need to pay for a whole years safety certificate?
    Thanks

Once your gas safety certificate expires, if any failure in the gas system injures your tenant/occupants (or worse) you'll be criminally liable.

Comment

In the unlikely event that something happened, you may get into trouble.
      Having a certificate doesn't absolve you of being prosecuted.

It's like asking whether to get an M.O.T to cover you for 7 days, when it's valid for a year.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

It may be tempting to ignore it but do not risk it, for the sake of a £40 - 50.00 . It will be sods law if something happened to the tenants or property, you only have to look at the big fines they are handing out now to Landlords and prison sentences these days. Better save then sorry.

Maxgas
        {link removed}

Comment

having a gs safe cert to show prospective buyers is a good thing anyway, and for what it costs you cannot risk peoples lives.

Comment

Pmsl @ thesaint "Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb."

my god they get everywhere I would never have thought on here, facebook yes!

Comment

I have a contract with a well know gas maintenance company who have contacted the tenants several times to arrange a visit for gas safety certificate since the certificate is on the verge of running out but the tenants have not responded (possibly because they only have a few days left and don't want the hassle).

Any advice?

Comment

So long as you have a paper trail of your attempts to get the certificate organised, then you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by NickyG View Post
                  When my current tenants move out I am putting the property up for sale. However the gas certificate runs out 7 days before they are due to move out. Do I really need to pay for a whole years safety certificate?
                  Strictly speaking, yes. If the T died due to gas-related issues in the last week you could potentially be liable because of negligence.

If you have a friendly plumber/gas safety engineer, could be worth asking whether he could extend 'cover' by a week - assuming that it's legal to 'extend' the gas safety certificate period.

Comment

I would add to Snorkerz's reply " and if gas engineer is willing to confirm he was unable to arrange a suitable time/date with T before expiry..."
                    I doubt existing GSC could be 'extended' without a re-test, T should have a copy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                      by bobthebuilder2
                      he may well do what you fear, an s21 if you want lots of repairs doing or put rent up.
                      an option is to speak to the council, get it inspected and have them issue an order to fix the items and if he gives you a s21 in return you should be able to defend against retaliatory eviction. how long it...
                      22-01-2022, 11:08 AM
                    • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                      by Lucylou99
                      Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
                      21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
                    • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                      by Turbine Terry
                      In my area rental properties are like looking for hens teeth in a haystack, and that is partly the reason for the 97 enquiries I had recently on a property. The other reason was that for that property I started the referencing/ credit check process with 2 lots of separate tenants that both failed to...
                      22-01-2022, 11:07 AM
                    • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                      by AVJ113
                      Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                      20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                      by boletus
                      You have to look for it as it is not readily or clearly available. The English Housing Survey and the MoJ possession statistics are a good place to start. The pattern is repeated in most surveys (I'll try and find one).

From experience, it's not a bad rule of thumb but the...
                      22-01-2022, 11:00 AM
                    • Reply to Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
                      by DPT57
                      It may be exempt from licensing.
                      22-01-2022, 10:52 AM
                    • Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
                      by westbrookdiane3
                      Hi all,

this was a shock to receive a letter from next door saying they where a charity and wanted access to our property to put new drainage system into our property and tell us they are opening the house up as tempary housing. is this something we can contest, i mean can this impacts...
                      22-01-2022, 03:39 AM
                    • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                      by mokka
                      Tough really. Tenant didn’t do it not his responsibility. Landlord has to either claim in his insurance because I just know the police won’t cough up as they will quote the said law that covers them as they don’t break down doors as a habit and without cause.

On the other hand if...
                      22-01-2022, 10:47 AM
                    • Property damaged. Advice please
                      by minorbark
                      Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                      18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      You have to be careful with these press release statistics though.

That figure quotes a survey based on landlord's responses based on something that began to happen last October, when the £20 a week was removed from the UC payment.
                      So it's quite a specific period.

And...
                      22-01-2022, 10:29 AM
                    Working...
                    X