Gas Safety Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Safety Certificate

When my current tenants move out I am putting the property up for sale. However the gas certificate runs out 7 days before they are due to move out. Do I really need to pay for a whole years safety certificate?
    Thanks

Once your gas safety certificate expires, if any failure in the gas system injures your tenant/occupants (or worse) you'll be criminally liable.

Comment

In the unlikely event that something happened, you may get into trouble.
      Having a certificate doesn't absolve you of being prosecuted.

It's like asking whether to get an M.O.T to cover you for 7 days, when it's valid for a year.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

It may be tempting to ignore it but do not risk it, for the sake of a £40 - 50.00 . It will be sods law if something happened to the tenants or property, you only have to look at the big fines they are handing out now to Landlords and prison sentences these days. Better save then sorry.

Maxgas
        {link removed}

Comment

having a gs safe cert to show prospective buyers is a good thing anyway, and for what it costs you cannot risk peoples lives.

Comment

Pmsl @ thesaint "Stalkers, please go over this comment with a fine tooth comb."

my god they get everywhere I would never have thought on here, facebook yes!

Comment

I have a contract with a well know gas maintenance company who have contacted the tenants several times to arrange a visit for gas safety certificate since the certificate is on the verge of running out but the tenants have not responded (possibly because they only have a few days left and don't want the hassle).

Any advice?

Comment

So long as you have a paper trail of your attempts to get the certificate organised, then you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by NickyG View Post
                  When my current tenants move out I am putting the property up for sale. However the gas certificate runs out 7 days before they are due to move out. Do I really need to pay for a whole years safety certificate?
                  Strictly speaking, yes. If the T died due to gas-related issues in the last week you could potentially be liable because of negligence.

If you have a friendly plumber/gas safety engineer, could be worth asking whether he could extend 'cover' by a week - assuming that it's legal to 'extend' the gas safety certificate period.

Comment

I would add to Snorkerz's reply " and if gas engineer is willing to confirm he was unable to arrange a suitable time/date with T before expiry..."
                    I doubt existing GSC could be 'extended' without a re-test, T should have a copy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X