Noise : Requition for Information / Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 80

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise : Requition for Information / Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 80

I am posting this on behalf of another landlord. He received a notice letter from the local authority for "Requisition for Information" under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 for the function of "abating the occurence or reoccurance of a statutory noise nuisance as confered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990 - Section 80".

The local authority want to know all sorts of information - similar to page 3 on http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/media/p...ruary_2006.pdf

What does having to know who the mortgage company have to do with noise control?

The tenant are good honest family and did admit to having a BBQ birthday party in the garden and with music two months ago, which finished by 9pm.

Following the complaint, the tenants went to the local authority regarding the noise complaint. And it was belived the matter was closed.

So why has the local authority sent another letter demaining this information?
    What is the procedure?
    What action will the Council take?
    Is there a way of getting the council to povide details of the date / times of complaints including who made them?

At the moment, it is unclear what additional complaints there are (if any). The tenants, did feel may be getting blamed for music noise from properties at the back. As noise travels, it is sometimes, hard to tell the origin....

The council can serve a notice on any person having an interest in the land, this includes your mortgagee if there is one.
    If the council is minded to, they can serve an abatement notice after they have gathered evidence in the form of observation records from the complainant, their own observations, observations from such as police etc. They usually serve it on the person who has allegedly caused the complaint to be made. Best result is obtained by phoning the council department and having an informal chat.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Increasing rent
      Twohoots
      Hi - haven't been on here for several years as we have been jogging along nicely.

We have a small property which we rent out and the same tenants have been in there for nearly 6 years now. we have never increased the rent during that time. They are good tenants but I feel we ought to...
      20-02-2017, 10:26 AM
    • Reply to Increasing rent
      MdeB
      Excessive if you want to keep good tenants.
      Reasonable if you want to risk losing them, looking for new tenants, and having a void....
      24-03-2019, 22:17 PM
    • housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
      karouyou
      Hi This is my first post. The council has sent me as the landlord a letter (not a notice) saying it's inspected my property under The 2004 Housing Act and using the safely rating system have identified hazards that require my urgent attention, asking me to reply with written intentions of dealing the...
      21-03-2019, 08:28 AM
    • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
      JK0
      You don't need an eviction company. There is plenty of help and advice here on Landlordzone with doing it yourself.
      24-03-2019, 20:39 PM
    • Reply to housing act 2004 239 notice of entry
      karouyou
      Thank you for your comments. I talked to the council and they said that because it wasn't a formal notice my section 21 is still valid. The eviction company have said they may still try and use it as a defence. I will do the repairs asap. The property has bats in the eves so I can't fill all the...
      24-03-2019, 20:16 PM
    • Reply to Increasing rent
      Twohoots
      Two years since I've been on here … can't believe that! As per my original post our tenants have now been living there for almost 8 years. In that time I have only put their rent up once by 5%. Lately there have been two very similar properties to rent near the one we own and we are renting our...
      24-03-2019, 19:54 PM
    • Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
      JohnMcClane
      I am a lodger, I asked for my deposit to be protected and the landlord agreed,

However, I have noticed the following discrepancies between my contract, the papers given to me by the landlord and the certificate given to me from DPS:

- The contract states that I take tenancy...
      24-03-2019, 00:25 AM
    • Reply to Discrepancies between deposit scheme papers and contract
      MdeB
      It may be that you are a tenant and not a lodger (but I do not have sufficient knowledge of this area).

I would suggest that you don't need to worry about it unless and until you have deposit or other problems at the end of your occupation.
      24-03-2019, 19:27 PM
    • Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
      Grim
      Hi Everyone,

I'd welcome your advice, I'm in the process of renting out a property and have been disappointed in the lack of interest from potential tenants, However, I've been approached by an EU National new to the UK ( 6 weeks ) and keen to rent the house. He is awaiting the arrival...
      21-03-2019, 08:24 AM
    • Reply to Tenant Offering to Pay Rent in Advance
      MdeB
      That is how I see it, provided agreement is worded correctly:
      • Month 1: rent paid for months 1, 2 & 3;
      • Month 2: rent paid for month 4
      • Month 3: rent paid for month 5
      • Month 4: rent paid for month 6; tenant gives required 2 months' notice
      • Month 5: no rent paid
      • Month 6: no rent paid.
      However,...
      24-03-2019, 19:13 PM