What are the dangers of subletting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the dangers of subletting?

Apologies for posting a new thread about this -- I have asked a similar question at the end of another thread but I think it's a bit hidden and I hope to get some advice.

A tenant of mine has bought a flat of his own and wants to end his lease with me early. He has offered to remain on the lease and pay me the rent, but he wants to move out and find someone else to take his place who will then pay him the rent every month.

At the end of the lease, I could either offer the subletter the opportunity to sign a lease (if they were interested) or I could find a new tenant as I normally would anyway at the end of the lease.

There are no letting agents involved.

The option seems easier than the alternative of the tenant paying me compensation and signing a guarantee of surrender (and is certainly better for him as he won't pay additional expenses). I like it as the rent is covered and there is no vacant period. But I don't know what I need to do to ensure the subletter doesn't gain some kind of right of residency or anything like that by sheer virtue of being in the flat.

Any advice would be very gratefully received. I've been so impressed by the quality of help I've had to questions on this forum.

many thanks in advance

Don't do it. You don't know who you'll end up with. I don't think an AST is possible for subletting, so you risk the undertenant gaining security of tenure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X