X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dishwasher appliance

Hi everyone,

I've never encountered this before so am wondering if anyone has:

I just moved into a property with a new dishwasher. The landlord has, however, apparently misplaced the "funnel" device needed to add salt at the bottom of the machine. The light is showing that salt needs to be added and and understand that this could cause damage to the machine if not maintained.

I thought this would be a simple matter and emailed property management to ask the landlord if he has a funnel and, if not, I offered to buy one. I said I could just deduct the cost from the following month's rent. I thought that was quite reasonable.

Property management quickly emailed back that the landlord does not agree to this and that I can purchase one myself and take it with me when I move to another property and reuse it.

What does everyone else think of this? I assumed the landlord would be happy to add the purchased funnel to the inventory and that he could retain it for future use either for himself or future tenants.

Thanks for feedback.

Unless you suffer from Parkinsons,Dystonia or similar, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to pour the dishwasher salt into the machine straight from the bag; a few salt crystals falling into the bottom of the machine won't cause any harm
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

I never use a funnel (even if I knew where it was). If you're really worried just do as the agent suggests and buy one (or make one from an old plastic bottle).

Comment

Thanks, Westminster. That's a good idea about improvising with an old plastic bottle. The user manual warns of possible damage to the machine and dishes with loose crystals, and I quite clumsily experimented pouring directly from the bag with a bit of a mess. And, Oaktree, yes, I do suffer from something similar. A little caution might be in order next time you feel like using the keyboard to release aggression.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncertain View Post
          The user manual warns of possible damage to the machine and dishes with loose crystals
          I've often spilt quite a lot when topping up the salt, with no adverse effects. If you do spill some, just scoop out as much as you can, but don't worry about clearing up every last crystal.

Comment

I agree. They are one of the least essential bits of kitchen equipment, but if you do feel an overwhelming need for a funnel, you can buy them from gardening or DIY stores. There's a set of four here in B & Q for £3.98 (sorry, the link doesn't work - just put B & Q into google and 'funnels' into their own search box).

In fact, in soft water areas, you don't even need the salt.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

In 25 years i have never put salt in my dishwasher(s) - all working fine !
              A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
              W.Churchill

Comment

most tablets have salt in them anyway!

Comment

OK, thanks everyone. I'll either make a funnel myself or just go out and buy one. Every other place I've lived has had a dishwasher funnel that came from the manufacturer that was specifically fitted for the machine. I am just a bit surprised at the reaction from the landlord flat out saying 'no' when I offered to buy one from the manufacturer and deduct the cost from the rent. I know the expense is minor, but it was something I would have left behind.

Problems between landlord and tenant can be far worse and this is relatively minor. It's just that the tenancy literally has just begun, and offers to resolve things have been met with the same abrupt denial every time...not exactly a good start. It's almost hostile. I've definitely had more amicable relationships with my previous landlords...That's for sure.

Comment

Perhaps you just caught him on a bad day. He may have lots of new tenants, all demanding plungers and vacuum cleaner belts and tap washers and light bulbs. Your request for a dishwaster funnel may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Perhaps get the relationship back on track by baking him a cake?
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Or perhaps the LL is just simply a total tosser and doesn't want to spend a single penny more than he absolutely must do (as he sees it).

Comment

I'm with Jedi. This landlord refused to send out a plumber to remove moulding sealant and tiles in the bathtub... A job that, when I moved in, even the property manager acknowledged asneeded. I've suggested to him that the source of the problem is that the bathroom isn't well-enough ventilated as the extractor fan is very weak and only runs when the bathroom light is on (unfortunately no bathroom window). That message has completely gone ignored. I'm just trying to take care of the place and (let's not forget) avoid being blamed for moulding and condensation when I move out. Just like I don't want to be blamed for a malfunctioning dishwasher.

Gap - The landlord just got transferred to another country for work so he's let out his private home. No multiple properties and tenants. I like your bit about the cake. I have a handyman to change light bulbs, fix broken cleaner belts, and replace batteries.

Thanks to those for the useful advice.
                        Last edited by Moderator2; 20-06-2011, 07:03 AM. Reason: Inflammatory comment removed

Comment

So let us be clear, Uncertain seems to imply he is renting the LLs main residence whilst LL works abroad. LL does not own other rental properties. Correct?
                          Whilst LL still has a repairing liability and a duty to maintain the fabric of the property there is no requirement for minor improvements once onventory/inspection agreed & signed. The bathroom extractor fan is working (though ineff?) OP does not suggest bath sealant is allowing leaks and condensation mould can be treated cheaply by T if it gets worse. At the end of the day T is only required to return the property in similar condition to start of T less reasonable wear & tear
                          Dishwaher funnel is not essential, temp replacement can be formed from a sheet of A4 or buy 1Kg salt in reefillable drum with pop-out pourer.
                          If OP wants to avoid unhelpful replies he should follow the FAQs and provide details of type of T, term, rent pcm and location. This may not be an AST so all replies could be wrong.
                          If a T contacted me asking if they could buy a £1.50 non-essential plastic funnel and claim it from rent due I would assume they were several silver foil bottle tops short of a Blue Peter badge unless they could show LL had a contractual duty to provide

Comment

It took me a while to weed through your message, Mariner, with the missing punctuation and misspelling. Well done, you, for having your fellow veteran's back.

It's an AST for over a year for a substantial amount in London. The poor condition of the tub was duly noted in the inventory. The independent inventory company had done a real hatchet job on the property before my check-in, and, based on what the property manager has said, the landlord was quite insulted by it. I suspect the retorts I'm getting in response to my concerns are the result of indignation, although I'm really not to blame for the critique.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.
                            Last edited by Moderator2; 20-06-2011, 07:05 AM. Reason: Inflammatory comment removed

Comment

Originally posted by Uncertain View Post
                              It took me a while to weed through your message, Mariner, with the missing punctuation and misspelling. Well done, you, for having your fellow veteran's back..
                              Er... having your fellow veteran's back WHAT? Sorry, the extraneous apostrophe totally changes the grammar there and renders the construction unintelligible. Try again?

It's an AST for over a year for a substantial amount in London. The poor condition of the tub was duly noted in the inventory. The independent inventory company had done a real hatchet job on the property before my check-in, and, based on what the property manager has said, the landlord was quite insulted by it. I suspect the retorts I'm getting in response to my concerns are the result of indignation, although I'm really not to blame for the critique.
                              You didn't mention all the stuff about mouldy sealant and malfunctioning fans in your orignal post; you just concentrated on the dishwasher funnel as if that was an isolated and pressing problem. It would seem that it was in fact the least important 'fault'. For the final time : you will not cause your dishwasher to break down by not using a dishwasher funnel. I agree with mariner about the sealant and the fan, in any case.

Originally posted by DrunkenJedi View Post
                              Or perhaps the LL is just simply a total tosser and doesn't want to spend a single penny more than he absolutely must do (as he sees it).
                              I am also inclined to agree with this, but something in me says if the LL rushes to replace the dishwasher funnel (which to me is a tenantlike thing to do, not a landlordy thing) how many more trivial complaints will this generate about extremely minor things? One would not wish to set too much of a precedent here! I speak as someone who has (in my salad days, when I was green in judgment) changed a lightbulb in a cloakroom for six students (total A level points score about a million) because 'none of us lot have a clue about light bulbs and it's a bit dark in there'...

Thanks again for the helpful advice
                              You're welcome.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X