tenant moving out letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant notice alone is not sufficient. Deed may be!
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      Tenant notice alone is not sufficient. Deed may be!
      A T's NTQ in a periodic tenancy (or exercising a break clause during the fixed term) ends the tenancy at notice expiry, just as a Deed of Surrender would.

Comment

Correct in periodic, not during fixed term

Comment

Okay, lets assume periodic on the basis that tenant can't give notice to quit during the fixed term unless there is a break clause.

Comment

Correct in periodic, not during fixed term
            If T serves notice to quit under a break clause during the fixed term, this ends the term and the tenancy at notice expiry.

HA1988

Section 5 (2) If an assured tenancy which is a fixed term tenancy comes to an end otherwise than by virtue of—

(a)an order of the court of the kind mentioned in subsection (1)(a) or (b) or any other order of the court, or

(b) a surrender or other action on the part of the tenant,

then, subject to section 7 and Chapter II below, the tenant shall be entitled to remain in possession of the dwelling-house let under that tenancy and, subject to subsection (4) below, his right to possession shall depend upon a periodic tenancy arising by virtue of this section.

S.5(2)(b) applies when T serves NTQ under a break clause, therefore a periodic tenancy does not arise following notice expiry.

Comment

Don't disagree - my experience relates to fixed term of 12 mths with no break clause and a written notice of surrender from tenant who then changed his mind and said we would have to "throw him out" - which we did, of course, in the end!

Comment

Don't disagree - my experience relates to fixed term of 12 mths with no break clause and a written notice of surrender from tenant who then changed his mind and said we would have to "throw him out" - which we did, of course, in the end!
                If you agree, then why did you disagree when I said, in post #17, that a "T's NTQ in a periodic tenancy (or exercising a break clause during the fixed term) ends the tenancy at notice expiry'"?

Comment

Tell that cat not to look so startled. I didn't disagree with you - I said you were correct during the periodic but not fixed term. I didn't mention break clauses mainly because I don't like them and never use them so have no idea of the rules. Your previous post could have misled the OP into thinking that a standard written notice issued during the fixed term would remove the need to issue S8 or S21 (which it does not). If break clauses work then that's fine - I know nothing about them! Now tell that kitty to go and have a bowl of milk!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Section 21 superseded new Section 21 - Landlord Vs Tenant 1 Vs Tenant 2
                    by propster717
                    Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice:

I'm a landlord as follows:

AST - commenced 12/04/2021
                    6 month fixed term, now contractual periodic (has not been renewed).
                    Tenant 1
                    Tenant 2
                    (No children)
                    Guarantor (relation of Tenant 1)...
                    20-01-2022, 15:12 PM
                  • Reply to Ending of a tenancy
                    by Jon66
                    I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I do not wait for tenants to move out before marketing the property, and I sign the new tenancy agreement providing the current tenant has not attempted to rescind the notice/everything seems to point to them leaving, when they said they would. A 6 week...
                    20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                  • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by jpucng62
                    The last 20 years may have been the 'golden years' for BTL. There is more regulation & higher taxation on BTLs; mortgage costs are going up; tenants are getting more rights & EPC C is coming.

The stock market is the place to go instead - £20k per year in an ISA means all tax is...
                    20-01-2022, 15:07 PM
                  • Reply to N244 Application Notice Q10 Evidence
                    by rapid111111
                    Thanks for the reply. This is a different case.
                    The defendants are asking to set aside. Any paperwork sent to me has come from the courts only and not them.

I've provided the defendants and the court with paperwork in preparation for the hearing to set aside....
                    20-01-2022, 15:03 PM
                    by davetg
                    I still can't think of a better thing to invest in even given all the new regulations. The lessons i have learnt are:-
                    1) Never let to people on benefits.
                    2) Don't over leverage your borrowing.
                    3) Have access to spare funds for unexpected things like a new boiler being required or...
                    20-01-2022, 15:00 PM
                  • Reply to Possession hearing
                    by davetg
                    The two I have done were quite informal - the tenants didn't show up so I had to wait quite a while as they give every opportunity for them to arrive late.

I was shown into a room with the judge sitting at a big table and offered a seat on the other side of the table. The judge looked at...
                    20-01-2022, 14:49 PM
                  • Possession hearing
                    by Gizmo1959
                    I am a LL and am due to attend a Possession Hearing on one of my properties in March
                    Would appreciate any information on what I need to take with me and what to expect when I get there
                    Thanks
                    20-01-2022, 14:22 PM
                    by doobrey
                    +1 on the above (post #17).

To item 1, I would add: 'Risk'.
                    20-01-2022, 14:43 PM
                  • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                    by AVJ113
                    Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                    20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                  • Reply to Possession hearing
                    by Gizmo1959
                    Served a Section 8 due to rent arrears.
                    Bit of an unusual situation (I think) Tenant was moved by Social Services due to domestic violence. Rent was being paid by Universal Credit for a while then ended. Managed to track tenant down and provided letters for her to sign to end the tenancy which...
                    20-01-2022, 14:32 PM
                  Working...
                  X