Must L replace all glass if only some is broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my ...let's get back on track here shall we:

http://www.warmedgeunits.com/safety.html has a good section on where you should have safety glass. Whenever you replace glass you must bring it up to spec - i think you are legally ok to leave existing glass in place if intact. Certainly whenever i go to glaziers for glass i am always asked where it is for (door window etc - so that they comply with regs and supply correct glass).

I have a full glass door and 2 glass side panels in one of my props which is let to Home Office - I suggested that i use safety/security glass film to make it safety - which was accepted.It is very quick and easy to fit.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=...All-Categories

Whether it is a legal requirement or not is largely irrelevent - I know several people who have horrendous scars from glass door "accidents". You are morally bound to make your property as safe as you can. It also makes for better sleep at night for you !!!
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Brightside View Post
      Or, (and if you have a nice handyman) replace
      the doors with those nice fashionable ones from a well known D.I.Y store.
      No more glass, no more worrying - and the next tenant who moves in (who
      can't tell the difference between safety glass and non-safety glass
      ) can't
      start making accusations that the glass is dangerous.

.....safety glass should be kitemarked to make the difference "apparent" !!!

http://www.bsigroup.com/en/ProductSe...ruction/Glass/
      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
      W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post

Whether it is a legal requirement or not is largely irrelevent - I know several people who have horrendous scars from glass door "accidents". You are morally bound to make your property as safe as you can. It also makes for better sleep at night for you !!!
        One of the most sensible things Rodent1 has ever posted ...I agree absolutely.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for responding, Jackie.
          Best to try and cover yourself as far as
          possible - that way you cannot fall victim
          to any unscrupulous claims that may be made
          against you in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            One of the most sensible things Rodent1 has ever posted ...I agree absolutely.
            I agree, make your rental property as safe as you can (within reason) after meeting your legal requirements. Its good to know whats legal and what is a personal preference because otherwise you could be sleeping in a cell! It's good that your asking.

Comment

I spend a lot of time and money getting as close as i can to making my properties:

1. Idiot proof
              2. Bullet proof - so to speak !

I have a severely autistic son (Captain Chaos) so this has become second nature to me!

Just take a walk around your house with mentality of a drunken idiot devoid of all common sense and list every potential hazard you can find - there will be plenty !!
              Then set about removing the hazards. There is always a cheaper simpler way than you may think - as per glass eg above !
              W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                Just take a walk around your house with metality of drunken idiot devoid of all common sense
                You made me laugh out loud Rodent1.

I have bought some of that glass film you linked to. Thanks very much.
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

No Problem JK

I have a friend (female late 30's) who came home wrecked and lost her balance whilst trying to get a glass out of a kitchen base unit and ended up with the door handle going into her eye, she spent many months recovering and has lost the sight in one eye. It was a bar type handle with the ends protruding at each end - needless to say I don't use this type of handle !!
                  W.Churchill

Comment

How to install window safety film

W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Unlicensed and HMO and room size
                      by DPT57
                      Actually I think the room size regulations in the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (Mandatory Conditions of Licences)(England) Regulations 2018 are limited to licensable HMOs. The Part X Housing Act 1985 space standards would apply, but I believe that in these, a room that is smaller than...
                      25-01-2022, 17:15 PM
                    • Unlicensed and HMO and room size
                      by zrux
                      My area doesn't need a HMO licence for 4 bed property. The license is only reqd for a 5 bed and more.

I have a 4 bed property which I rent out to students as a 3 bedroom house. The 4th bedroom size is bit less than 6.51 sq meters reqd for a HMO license and as a result I have never allowed...
                      25-01-2022, 14:11 PM
                    • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                      by theartfullodger
                      IHT and/or CGT exposure?
                      25-01-2022, 17:05 PM
                    • Inherited a few rentals
                      by Landlord7289
                      Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                      25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                      by theartfullodger
                      Serve (yourself) s8 for arrears today.

Sounds like in addition to agent lack-of-perfection the Tenant hasn't heard the message.

Can we assume you'll provide no reference or only a full, honest one, and will instruct agent to do likewise?

Have you formally gone...
                      25-01-2022, 17:04 PM
                    • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                      by Beeble
                      We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                      25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                    • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                      by jpkeates
                      This is pretty much me, although my agent is very good and doesn't need much "rein".

They have a high street presence, which tenants like (makes the agent more real) and have multiple people to answer phones.
                      And they have a mostly female staff, which is a big plus for ...
                      25-01-2022, 16:51 PM
                    • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                      by AVJ113
                      Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                      20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                    • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                      by jpkeates
                      Paperwork shouldn't be an issue in claiming unpaid rent.
                      Unpaid rent is usually easy to prove - the tenant's paid some and has obviously been renting something.

The issue is usually that the tenant doesn't have the money they owe.

The lack of agent and paperwork will...
                      25-01-2022, 16:48 PM
                    • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                      by Hudson01
                      As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
                      25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
                    Working...
                    X