Must L replace all glass if only some is broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must L replace all glass if only some is broken?

We bought this house about 7 years ago and knew there were several glass doors. When a tentant broke one and then left without paying rent we replaced the glass door with safety glass because it was at the bottom of the stairs. We did not touch the other doors in the vestibule and dining room entrance. Today our tenant's two year old has broken the dining room door and cut his arm. Fortunately it was not bad enough to need stitches and he is OK. However our letting Agent tells me that we need to replace ALL the glass doors with safety glass. I asked why they did not tell us then when we made them agents 7 years ago. She said it was our responsibility. I do not know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. JG

Originally posted by jackie goldby View Post
    I do not know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. JG
    Replace all the glass in the doors with safety glass, as soon as possible. Then I would hope and pray that your tenant doesn't sue you. Have you seen those adverts for accident claims?

Comment

I am struggling to believe that you think there is any question at all about what you should do.

Please do as Mrs Mug advises and replace it all with safety glass as a matter of urgency.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

How many glass doors are there in all?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          How many glass doors are there in all?
          It doesn't matter how many doors there are. The glass needs replacing.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            It doesn't matter how many doors there are. The glass needs replacing.
            I did not dispute that; but I puzzled just how many internal glass doors one house could have- not many, surely.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Depending on the design of the door, I may be inclined to either:-

Replace the glass panels with plywood or mdf etc (may be more economical)

Or, (and if you have a nice handyman) replace
              the doors with those nice fashionable ones from a well known D.I.Y store.
              No more glass, no more worrying - and the next tenant who moves in (who
              can't tell the difference between safety glass and non-safety glass) can't
              start making accusations that the glass is dangerous.

Or, if your present tenant is quite attached to their nice glass doors, offer
              a compromise and put "wood" in the bottom and just keep a bit of glass in
              the top (I'm not sure if it only has to be safety glass below a certain height).
              Again, it depends on the design of the door.

Comment

Crikey! Is it 'glass door day' on LZ? Most people installed glass doors to permit more light so boxing them off with MDF might be counter productive.

Safety glass has a small BS kite mark in one corner - usually bottom right. No mark - not safety glass.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Under what regulation is your agent requiring you to replace all the glazing?
                  Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Depending on the design of the door, I may be inclined to either:-

Replace the glass panels with plywood or mdf etc (may be more economical)

Or, (and if you have a nice handyman) replace
                    the doors with those nice fashionable ones from a well known D.I.Y store.
                    No more glass, no more worrying - and the next tenant who moves in (who
                    can't tell the difference between safety glass and non-safety glass) can't
                    start making accusations that the glass is dangerous.

Or, if your present tenant is quite attached to their nice glass doors, offer
                    a compromise and put "wood" in the bottom and just keep a bit of glass in
                    the top (I'm not sure if it only has to be safety glass below a certain height).
                    Again, it depends on the design of the door.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I have now suggested we remove the glass and use plywood. My first reaction was to tell my handyman to replace all with safety glass. He points out that they could still shatter and hurt the child and I will not risk this. Problem is the tenant seems to be playing 'sillies' at the moment. Although I suggested it as soon as I was advised that the safety glass could shatter, they are leaving their mobile off and do not reply to messages. I do not have involvement with the house because agents handle it for me normally. Therefore I was shocked when I discovered the problem. We are visiting the house today to discuss the situation with the tenants personally. There were six glass doors in the house, so we now have five to replace or board up.

Comment

I am sorry to hear you are stuggling about the question of glass. I could not have responded quicker. My handyman visited ten minutes after we were informed of the problem. I do not handle the house, paying an agent to do so. No mention has ever been made of the glass not being safety glass and nobody has ever complained. Further more the agent did not tell us there was a small child or indeed a dog until they rang and asked if we minded. If the tenant would answer her mobile, we could arrange to enter the property and do the necessary work. We are now visiting today when we know they will be home. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jackie goldby View Post
                          I am sorry to hear you are stuggling about the question of glass. I could not have responded quicker. My handyman visited ten minutes after we were informed of the problem. I do not handle the house, paying an agent to do so. No mention has ever been made of the glass not being safety glass and nobody has ever complained. Further more the agent did not tell us there was a small child or indeed a dog until they rang and asked if we minded. If the tenant would answer her mobile, we could arrange to enter the property and do the necessary work. We are now visiting today when we know they will be home. Thank you.
                          Er...was this not intended for your tenant, not us?

Comment

Hi Jackie,
                            Yes, sounds like you're doing the "decent" thing. You're
                            concerned enough to want to visit straight away (but
                            shouldn't your agent have already mentioned something about
                            glass doors/rented property/not a good idea) - just make
                            sure you have your health and safety head on.
                            (I'm learning that Mind the Gap is going to love that last remark!)

Comment

Sorry for not responding, new on this site and got confused! As far as I know there is no regulation, at least that is what my solicitor tells me. However, I am worried about the child, even though it appears his parents are not!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X