letting agent checklist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

letting agent checklist?

i am about to start my first buy to let on a letting agent fully managed basis.
    can anybody advise me of all the things i need to ensure the agent should be doing for me? ie.. legal documents,deposits etc???

Everything! Your agent should advertise for tenants, check them, install them and pay you the rent received from them (less his agreed commission) every rental period. Should any maintenance be needed, said agent should organise this, getting quotations as necessary agree same with you and deduct the cost from the rental payments. A fully managed service is what an agent should provide if the landlord lives abroad and is not in a position to do anything to his rental property. Rental agents require no qualifications whatsoever to set up in business and from what we read here, some have some very peculiar ideas as to how to do their job - or what their job, in exchange for - say - 10% of the rental should be. It is always being suggested here that an agent who is a member of a recognised body such as the ARLA or NEA is the best one to go for, but you cannot be 100% certain as you cannot of anything in life! Personally I look for the old established estate/lettings agent who is invariably a member of one of the recognised bodies, has been doing the job for years and knows exactly how to do his job. Once found, I stick with them.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Letting Agent Checklist

I'd agree with that response.
      Also, do not be afraid to amend anything in the letting agent contract that you do not like. They are not set in stone.
      In particular, I would look carefully at clauses that say the agent gets a commission every time the same tenant renews or extends their tenancy agreement -for example if they roll on to a monthly periodic tenancy.
      In these circs there is often no real work involved for the agent and paying a fee of say 6 or 8% of the rent for this is plain unfair and should be struck out.
      That said, you must pay a reasonable fee for the agents time in finding and managing the tenants that is linked to the work they do, when they do it.
      A good agent is a professional who does good work.
      Don't be mean with the agent or you will get a resentful agent and poor quality work.
      Lots more tips on all this in my book, "Successful Property Letting"
      Good luck David Lawrenson

Comment

It is usual for an agent to charge to renew a fixed term tenancy agreement, but I would argue that it does involve some real work!! However, you can usually avoid this by stating that you want your tenancy to go into a periodic. (No renewal fee then).

One thing I watch (both as an agent and landlord) is the boards for each agent. If there is a lot of board changes from "To Let" to "Let Agreed" you can tell they are doing business on the lettings side. However, if you don't see any new "To Let" board signs up, it can suggest that they are quiet on the new properties to let side of business. (A good time to negotiate on fees by the way!)

Hope that is a bit of help!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to No Fault Eviction
          by AndrewDod
          Next time my tenants give notice I'll try to kick them out three weeks early instead. Makes sense.
          Someone pays for all these jokers....
          24-07-2021, 13:59 PM
        • No Fault Eviction
          by Gdunwell
          Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
          24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
        • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
          by Neelix
          Do you not have a managing agent?
          24-07-2021, 13:56 PM
        • Very difficult tenant issues
          by Helvie
          I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
          24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
        • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
          by landlord-man
          Yes, they have a demo account where you can play with £75,000 ($100,000)

I did put $10k into one copy on April 4th and its now on a profit of $4,915, so nearly 50% in just under 4 months.

I guess as Im only playing, I should "invest" all the funds and see how they...
          24-07-2021, 13:28 PM
        • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
          by landlord-man
          I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
          24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
        • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
          by landlord-man
          Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
          24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
        • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
          by Hudson01
          Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
          24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
        • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
          by witsend55
          Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
          24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
        • Reply to No Fault Eviction
          by jpucng62
          This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
          24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
        Working...
        X