letting agent checklist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

letting agent checklist?

i am about to start my first buy to let on a letting agent fully managed basis.
    can anybody advise me of all the things i need to ensure the agent should be doing for me? ie.. legal documents,deposits etc???

Everything! Your agent should advertise for tenants, check them, install them and pay you the rent received from them (less his agreed commission) every rental period. Should any maintenance be needed, said agent should organise this, getting quotations as necessary agree same with you and deduct the cost from the rental payments. A fully managed service is what an agent should provide if the landlord lives abroad and is not in a position to do anything to his rental property. Rental agents require no qualifications whatsoever to set up in business and from what we read here, some have some very peculiar ideas as to how to do their job - or what their job, in exchange for - say - 10% of the rental should be. It is always being suggested here that an agent who is a member of a recognised body such as the ARLA or NEA is the best one to go for, but you cannot be 100% certain as you cannot of anything in life! Personally I look for the old established estate/lettings agent who is invariably a member of one of the recognised bodies, has been doing the job for years and knows exactly how to do his job. Once found, I stick with them.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Letting Agent Checklist

I'd agree with that response.
      Also, do not be afraid to amend anything in the letting agent contract that you do not like. They are not set in stone.
      In particular, I would look carefully at clauses that say the agent gets a commission every time the same tenant renews or extends their tenancy agreement -for example if they roll on to a monthly periodic tenancy.
      In these circs there is often no real work involved for the agent and paying a fee of say 6 or 8% of the rent for this is plain unfair and should be struck out.
      That said, you must pay a reasonable fee for the agents time in finding and managing the tenants that is linked to the work they do, when they do it.
      A good agent is a professional who does good work.
      Don't be mean with the agent or you will get a resentful agent and poor quality work.
      Lots more tips on all this in my book, "Successful Property Letting"
      Good luck David Lawrenson

Comment

It is usual for an agent to charge to renew a fixed term tenancy agreement, but I would argue that it does involve some real work!! However, you can usually avoid this by stating that you want your tenancy to go into a periodic. (No renewal fee then).

One thing I watch (both as an agent and landlord) is the boards for each agent. If there is a lot of board changes from "To Let" to "Let Agreed" you can tell they are doing business on the lettings side. However, if you don't see any new "To Let" board signs up, it can suggest that they are quiet on the new properties to let side of business. (A good time to negotiate on fees by the way!)

Hope that is a bit of help!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to solicitors fees
          by ash72
          It is a tad high, unless you get a breakdown of the costs it's just people speculating, as it could be Letters to the T, they could have tried mediation. Most important thing is you've got the property back and your out of the game. Just make sure you CCJ put against the T (you can do it yourself M...
          30-07-2021, 10:14 AM
        • solicitors fees
          by rob1648
          Hi all , finally managed to get my tenant evicted after 18 months of hell using high court bailiffs , house now sold so happy days, we tried initially to do the section 21ourselves but made mistakes which citizens advice happily pointed out to our tenant so we decided to use a solicitor to act for us...
          29-07-2021, 15:19 PM
          by KTC
          Probably £160 + VAT per hour. Still like 47 hours though.

+1

An hour initial meeting, half an hour for the s21, a few hours for the claims paperwork, and total a few hours warrants etc. Ten hours, fifteen maybe we say?...
          30-07-2021, 10:02 AM
          by jpucng62
          They have to reread the paperwork every time the pick it up because things take so long & they forget what the case is about!!...
          30-07-2021, 09:51 AM
        • Reply to Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
          by jpucng62
          Pay as you go meters will not reduce the value of the property and some tenants like them as it helps them to budget.

When one is fitted to a property any credit added to it (usually now done online) will partly put credit on for usage and will partly pay off the debt. If you or your next...
          30-07-2021, 09:50 AM
        • Help - evicted tenant leaves a nasty surprise behind
          by nreid
          My tenant was evicted back in April of this year after a lengthy period.
          Besides this trauma, the problems continue.

My new agent has emptied the letterbox and found a number of concerning items. One is the matter of a court summons for unpaid council tax. I have since taken over...
          29-07-2021, 20:21 PM
        • Reply to Section 17 notice on tenant that has disappeared (no new address)
          by jpkeates
          I'd accept the situation, accept the tenant's surrender and move on.

I think you need to understand the landlord's role a little better if you are going to continue in the business.
          Section 17 doesn't sound like the route for recovering your money, and you'd be better off with nothing...
          30-07-2021, 08:18 AM
        • Section 17 notice on tenant that has disappeared (no new address)
          by eshroom
          I had a tenant recently give me 2 days notice of leaving half through his tenancy.

I explained I was happy to work with him but I'd at least require rent paid until I found a new tenant to replace him.

He'd previously been a good tenant of almost 3 years, during which time...
          27-07-2021, 07:56 AM
        • Reply to Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
          by jpkeates
          What makes you a tenant is paying rent for exclusive occupation of a residential property. Which could be a room in a shared house.

In an HMO, the landlord is responsible for council tax (which might be the ultimate landlord in this case - i.e. the person your landlord is renting from)....
          30-07-2021, 08:15 AM
        • Help! Sub tenant with no contract eviction rights
          by Yasmenaax
          Hi there,

I moved into a property 2-3 months ago which was subletted to me by a girl named on the main tenancy contract of the property. I handed over a deposit (which is currently unprotected) and have paid rent on time. She today decided to give me notice to leave, giving me only 2 weeks...
          29-07-2021, 02:19 AM
        Working...
        X