Deposit from 2008?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit from 2008?!?!

Basically we paid a deposit into the DPS back in 2008. When we moved out the landlord tried to rip us off by saying we owed him over £1000 in damages, trust me there wasn't even a mark anywhere. In all the time we lived there everyroom had mould and damp which we complained about but the LL did nothing so we decided to leave. The LL came round to our new house after a few months and demanded we paid him £1000+ (by this point he had written down our car reg.....just incase!!!!) i was not happy. He then said he'd keep our deposit of £550 and forget everything else and when we got the letter from the DPS not to argue the final amount of £0 to be paid back to us. We wanted him gone so we agreed but we never heard from the DPS. I just came across the old origional letter tonight saying they had our deposit from 2008 so i looked online and it states "waiting for tenant response"......?!?!? if we apply for the deposit back now would we get it back as its been 3 years or would it cause us to pay money out??

Originally posted by pizzle View Post
    He then said he'd keep our deposit of £550 and forget everything else and when we got the letter from the DPS not to argue the final amount of £0 to be paid back to us. We wanted him gone so we agreed but we never heard from the DPS. I just came across the old origional letter tonight saying they had our deposit from 2008 so i looked online and it states "waiting for tenant response"......?!?!? if we apply for the deposit back now would we get it back as its been 3 years or would it cause us to pay money out??
    So evidently after the LL applied for the deposit back, the DPS contacted you to see if you agreed with the LL's calculations, but you never received the letter. Because you didn't reply or otherwise contact the DPS, the LL would have been entitled to apply for his money by the 'single claim process' - the fact that he didn't does suggest he's not too bothered about the money, or doesn't believe he has a case (or, I suppose, doesn't know he can claim in your absence).

No reason for you not to apply for refund of your deposit now; if what you say about the condition of the property is true then you have nothing to fear about losing your money as the onus will be on the LL to prove that you have caused damage.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X