X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording conversations at Landlords house

Hello

Heres an interesting one.

We recently visited our landlord at his home as we do when we pay the rent. We needed to pay the rent anyway but wanted to speak to him about some property problems we have.

As we stood in his hallway talking to him, my wife noticed the kitchen door was propped open and she saw the reflection of his wife pointing a camcorder at us and she also saw the red light on the front.
    My wife didnt make it obvious that she saw what was happening and she told me after we had left.

Is this legal to record conversations without telling us ? He is a bit of an oddball and im wondering what he could be upto.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by tenant1980 View Post
    Hello

Heres an interesting one.

We recently visited our landlord at his home as we do when we pay the rent. We needed to pay the rent anyway but wanted to speak to him about some property problems we have.

As we stood in his hallway talking to him, my wife noticed the kitchen door was propped open and she saw the reflection of his wife pointing a camcorder at us and she also saw the red light on the front.
    My wife didnt make it obvious that she saw what was happening and she told me after we had left.

Is this legal to record conversations without telling us ? He is a bit of an oddball and im wondering what he could be upto.

Thanks in advance.
    On his property i suspect so, however i am not sure its admissable in a court without consent...Not 100% sure, but in any event it's probably fairly irrelevant.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Originally posted by tenant1980 View Post

Is this legal to record conversations without telling us ?
      Of course it is.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

As I understand it, it is only illegal if neither party are aware of the recording (i.e. a third party does the recording). I think recording conversations may be wise as a landlord if people are coming to your house (e.g. single females, agressive males etc). Not sure I'd have the camera so obvious though, just asking to antagonise the tenants, as it appears to have done.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X