T getting his lock broken by someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T getting his lock broken by someone

Got a T that has probably wound someone the wrong way and is now getting harassed. My involvement in this is that I have changed the locks at his flat 2 times now as someone keeps on breaking a key in there. Anyway got a phone call from the T that its happened again and this time I refused to change it for free as it costs me quite a bit.

The Housing dept from the council were on the phone within a couple of hours insisting that I get it repaired so he can get back into the property again.

Its costs me too much to do this Out of hours as I will have to call someone out as this being a long weekend.

What are my rights on this? Surely I have given him a working lock and changed it twice. Now its up to the T to get back in?

Can anyone please advise on this?

Comment

I guess its a yale lock that is getting a key broken off in it? If so you could try changing it to a mortice lock, it needs a bit more effort to break one of those.

Or if your not fussy fit a hasp and padlock.

Comment

What power do the LHA have to require you to do this? The next time they tell you to change the locks ask them why they think it is your duty? You are not excluding the T from the premises, the T or another is.

One drawback to fitting a mortise lock is that if that gets jammed or damaged and cannot be opened, unless you pay for a locksmith to drill the lock in the correct places it will cost you more than a barrel insert.

pm
        Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Don,t get confused with your posts http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ken-by-someone
          Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
            Yeah I had to start another thread as 24hrs had passed and no one had commented on this thread and the council was on my back.

Comment

Originally posted by property mongrel View Post
              What power do the LHA have to require you to do this? The next time they tell you to change the locks ask them why they think it is your duty? You are not excluding the T from the premises, the T or another is.
              Thats what I thought but the Council rep was making it out as I was denying him entry into his house. I told him the facts and pointed out that I had got it changed before. In the end he told me that the Council would be back in touch when they open on Tuesday as I was denying him entry.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
                28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
              • Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                I do not intend to live at the property
                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                As its...
                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
                28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by theartfullodger
                Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
                28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by Hudson01
                If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
                28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by jpkeates
                That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
                The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
                28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Piffy
                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Renting rooms
                by DoricPixie
                You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
                28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by DoricPixie
                I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
                28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
              Working...
              X