Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant is in breach: rent arrears, damage, dirt

hello, im very sorry to bother everyone here but i really do need some help
    i am an amateur landlord and i haven't been doing this for a long time. i recently had a tenant who is refusing to pay his rent and refusing to move out. could someone tell me what steps i have to take?
    the reasons are mainly dirtiness, fire safety and something about his 'health being affected' because he won't use the 'unuseable' shower and washing machine!
    i would really appreciate some help here, as i really don't know what to do.
    thank you

Hi there, I've been an amateur landlord too, so don't know a huge amount, but one thing springs to mind.

When you say 'fire safety' do you have a Gas Safety Certificate in force? Is that what your tenant is complaining about? Because it is illegal not to have one.

What is he saying is wrong with the shower and washing machine?

I'm sure people will be along soon who know more than me.

Comment

It is very difficult to comment or help without knowing the specifics of his complaint, and the REAL state of these specifics.
      Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Originally posted by vangryll View Post
        hello, im very sorry to bother everyone here but i really do need some help
        i am an amateur landlord and i haven't been doing this for a long time. i recently had a tenant who is refusing to pay his rent and refusing to move out. could someone tell me what steps i have to take?
        the reasons are mainly dirtiness, fire safety and something about his 'health being affected' because he won't use the 'unuseable' shower and washing machine!
        i would really appreciate some help here, as i really don't know what to do.
        thank you
        Can`t understand this one if its as bad as your tenant claims I would have thought he would be only to pleased to move out, You also say recently, do you mean currently, as recently suggests he is no longer there
        Opinions given are mine, They are not necessarily correct, as the more I learn the less I know, You should always seek professional help.

Comment

I suspect we may have misunderstood the original poster, so please can you clarify, vangryll.

Is the tenant complaining about dirtiness, fire safety etc, or are you?

Has he brought to your attention that the shower and washing machine are not useable?

How long has he been there and what were the terms of his tenancy?

Once you have given some more specifics you may get some answers, but I also suggest you read through the forums as there are lots of threads with a similar theme so you may well find the answers there.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X