Self employed tenant default, poor references not checked by agency, any comeback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed tenant default, poor references not checked by agency, any comeback?

Hi There, I wonder if someone can help me here. I had a tenant that was sourced by an agent (fully managed), 2 year tenancy agreement, she lived in my flat for 3 months then suddenly started to claim that the flat was uninhabitable and stopped paying rent. She got a lawyer involved and made a spurious and overinflated claim (15k) against me, I counter-claimed for missing rent and deposit (8k). After much legal cost (5k) her lawyer disappeared, she dropped her claim and agreed to release the deposit but couldn't pay any additional rent as she is broke. Clearly she cooked the whole thing up to break the 2 year agreement and she didn't really have any money in the first place. She was self-employed with a very tenuous freelance consultancy job. The references she provided were very thin and certainly didn't involve anything substantial like a tax return of accountant reference etc. I was not sent these references at the start and unfortunately trusted that the agent had done the relevant checks.
    Do I have any grounds to take the agent to court for my lost rent and legal costs becuase they did not obtain proper references that would have shown the tenant was totally incapable of paying rent?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
    by jpucng62
    I would write the discrepancies on the inventory and then sign it and return it. Keep a copy for when you move out.
    23-04-2021, 13:22 PM
  • Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
    by forest777
    Dear all,

I picked up keys to a property on Monday 19th April and given the inventory which was done on Friday 16th April. The inventory was done without telling me when it was going to happen - that is when I asked the LA about it, he merely told me that it was already done. The TA began...
    22-04-2021, 21:50 PM
  • Reply to Rent arrears
    by Berlingogirl
    Have you still got a contact number for them? Text them immediately asking for a forwarding address saying you need to write to them about the outstanding arrears. Do this before he changes his number. If he doesn't reply ask again saying you will write to him at his last known address (that'll probably...
    23-04-2021, 13:15 PM
  • Rent arrears
    by MP31
    Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
    To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
    21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
  • Reply to Rent arrears
    by Movieman
    can anyone recommend a no fee no find service to find tenants, my tenant owes me about £5k and I'm considering going after him or at least have the satisfaction of registering CCJ against him and his wife.

He is so dumb though that he will spend more money trying to avoid the debt than...
    23-04-2021, 12:55 PM
  • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
    by theartfullodger
    Politely decline and firmly require it to be removed. Keep evidence of those requests and photos of sofa in case of any police involvement
    23-04-2021, 12:50 PM
  • Can I take previous tenants furniture?
    by JohnMM96
    The landlord asked if we wanted the sofa removed since it wasn't advertised as being part of the flat since it belonged to the previous tenant. We said we would keep it. The tenant moved out a year ago so there is zero expectation of him reclaiming the sofa. He left it because he didn't want it. We...
    23-04-2021, 11:28 AM
  • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
    by JohnMM96
    We have an email that asks if we want to keep the sofa. I will try and find it now since the wording is important....
    23-04-2021, 12:03 PM
  • Reply to Eviction advice
    by ba_baracuss
    The delay because I don't know what's going on. The tenant has been all over the place for a while due to family issues etc, and so it's possible that she has had some kind of breakdown or something and may not even be at the address. I'd imagine she could get council help for the rent. If I go the...
    23-04-2021, 11:55 AM
  • Eviction advice
    by ba_baracuss
    Hi, I have a tenant who is now several months in arrears. She has changed her phone number and does not answer the door. I've sent an informal letter asking her to get in touch, which has been ignored. She's been pretty flaky for a while and it seems like she's decided to stick her head in the sand...
    12-04-2021, 15:16 PM
Working...
X