Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

section 21 dates - please help

Hi everyone

I'm new to this letting business. I just wanted to check the dates before I issued a section 21. Getting really confused with the dates.

The AST was fixed for six months 19/11/10 to 18/5/11 payable monthly on the 19th. I wish to issue a section 21 today (18/5/11). Do I issue section 21 1b (fixed term tenancy) or section 21 4a (periodic tenancy)?

What date do I put for regarding possession? Is it 18/7/11 or is it 17/7/11?

What dates do I put in, if I issue a section 21 tomorrow (19/5/11)? Would it be 18/7/11 or 18/8/11?

and yes the deposit is protected by DPS!

Thanks

Originally posted by mustardseed6 View Post
    I wish to issue a section 21 today (18/5/11). Do I issue section 21 1b (fixed term tenancy) or section 21 4a (periodic tenancy)?
    How are you going to serve notice? I.e., do you intend to hand deliver the notice with a witness present, or do you intend to post it?

Have you given your tenant the prescribed information about their deposit?

Comment

The tenant has been given the prescribed details of the deposit scheme.

I was intending to hand deliver it because we live quite near. Do I require a witness if I hand deliver it? Do I have to post it?

Comment

Hi everyone

I'm new to this letting business. I just wanted to check the dates before I issued a section 21. Getting really confused with the dates.

The AST was fixed for six months 19/11/10 to 18/5/11 payable monthly on the 19th. I wish to issue a section 21 today (18/5/11). Do I issue section 21 1b (fixed term tenancy) or section 21 4a (periodic tenancy)?

What date do I put for regarding possession? Is it 18/7/11 or is it 17/7/11?

What dates do I put in, if I issue a section 21 tomorrow (19/5/11)? Would it be 18/7/11 or 18/8/11?

and yes the deposit is protected by DPS!

Thanks
        Notice during fixed term: s.21(1)(b). Its Notice period is two months.

Notice after fixed term expiry: s.21(4)(a). Its Notice period is:
        a. two months; plus
        b. up to & inc. a month-end of the Statutory Periodic Tenancy.

So a Notice tomorrow- 19 May- would be under s.21(4)(a) and run up to & inc. 18 August.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Do I require a witness if I hand deliver it? Do I have to post it?
          The following advice is taken from the link below.

You will need to obtain proof of service of your section 21 notice. You can take a witness and obtain a statement from them, but the most straightforward way is to send 2 copies by first class post from different post offices - obtaining a free certificate of posting. The courts will accept this as proof of service 2 working days later. Do not use 'Special Delivery' or 'Recorded Delivery' as the tenant can refuse to accept these.
          http://tenancyanswers.ucoz.com/index..._contract/0-37

Comment

Thanks for all that. You seem to have answered my questions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• s8 and s21 notice periods for contractual periodic tenancy
              by LastBus
              Hi,
              I let a flat to a tenant on an AST in England which has been running for a few years on a contractual periodic basis. I have now found myself in a position where I need to live in the property.

I did serve the s8 "prior grounds" notice (Ground 1 and 2) before the start...
              15-08-2022, 01:07 AM
            • Reply to Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
              by DoricPixie
              I don’t think you’ll get the property back by October either. The tenant is angling for social housing and the council will advise her to hand in until bailiffs physically removed her from the property. Insurance companies and solicitors can’t make the process go any faster. A solicitor might...
              14-08-2022, 22:51 PM
            • Guarantor has announced they wont be paying!
              by lordluvus
              The girl works in HM service with good ref and actually always paid her half, her dopey partner, was newly self employed and has a guarantor. (family member). Tenant got pregnant but has always paid her half, if sometimes late. Now they have a 1 yr old baby boy. This month she has paid 60% but the rest...
              14-08-2022, 19:36 PM
            • Reply to Future Issues for LL and Tenants
              by DoricPixie
              Properly insulated properties also help to keep the air cool inside during summer. Much in the same way a Thermos flask can keep its contents either hot or cold.

If you had a well insulated home then you wouldn’t need larger radiators to use with heat pumps. Once you reached the desired...
              14-08-2022, 22:44 PM
            • Future Issues for LL and Tenants
              by Hudson01
              Looking at the news today (similar to yesterday and the day before), they are talking about combined energy bills of 4-5k a year...... by April 2023. There are many properties up north where the combined rental per annum is between 6-7k....... that is insane.

Could we have a situation...
              13-08-2022, 22:08 PM
            • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
              by ash72
              I really can't see the new PM (who ever that is) is going to reach into their pockets to then give out more money, If they do I think it's going to be like the winter payment, only selected people will be eligible, and guess what LL's will not be one of them.

What other countries are doing...
              14-08-2022, 21:21 PM
            • Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
              by patray
              I am trying to work out the best way to recoup some of the increase in the cost of the gas given that we can only put up the rent once a year but the cost is going to be increased in October and probably every 3 months.

It's not possible to forsee how much prices will rise or what help...
              14-08-2022, 14:03 PM
            • Reply to Gas Central Heating Included in Rent
              by Hudson01
              I think the govt will step in of sorts but they cannot cover the increase in the rates for the whole population and industry !! Not a chance, i agree we do not know how much, but we have a really good idea that it will be massive. If you do not work this out correctly you will be taking a lot more than...
              14-08-2022, 21:11 PM
              by Hudson01
              I doubt very much you will get the house back by October, the tenant has been told the usual by the local authority and will put up a fight, so do not count on your plans going....... to plan. In terms of the guarantor, its in the lap of the gods, if all tickity boo, then great but any flaws at all...
              14-08-2022, 21:02 PM
              by NaomiB
              The S21 required my tenant to leave by 18 April but she didn't so then had to apply to the court for an accelerated possession order. She filed no defence so I could apply for the possession order which I received at the end of July for her to leave 10 August. She hasn't so I have applied for the...
              14-08-2022, 20:54 PM
            Working...
            X