Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting Tenants - New Tenancies

Hi,

A very quick question. My partner and I are in the processing of buying a fully-let HMO property.

My question is regarding the process of transfering existing tenancies and to a new landlord. Is this a task for our solicitors, or can it be done without their involvement?

Cheers

James

I think the tenants will automatically become your tenants James. What you do need to do though is apply for an HMO licence from the local council.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
      I think the tenants will automatically become your tenants.
      Yes. 'Sitting tenant' just means someone who is a T and continues to be T despite change of L.
      Once you complete the purchase, you need to send to T:
      a. old L's Letter of Authority;
      b. Notice under s.3 of LTA 1985; and
      c. Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987.
      Make your solicitor help you with these (or ask him/her to do them for you).
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you. I'm ready to submit an HMO as soon as the transfer is complete so that base is covered. But it sounds like job of transferring tenancies to ourselves is a job that should be taken care of by our solicitor?

Thanks for the responses

James

Comment

Yes. Your solicitor should deal with items a-c on (or just after) completion of purchase.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X