Are bailiffs the last stage; can T resist/object?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are bailiffs the last stage; can T resist/object?

I have recently obtained a court order for possession which requires my tenant to vacate my property today (16th may), He is not going to leave so my next step is to arrange for a bailiff to evict him. I bumped into the tenant recently and he gave me the impression that there was a defence available to him to avoid the bailiff throwing him out. I am unaware of such a defence and wondered if indeed one does exist. I am under the impression that the bailiff is the final stage of this process.
    Many thanks

Well, execution of a possession warrant (Order) does end the tenancy. Here's s.5(1A) of the Housing Act 1988:

Where an order of the court for possession of the dwelling-house is obtained, the tenancy ends when the order is executed.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

jeffrey
      Thanks for your reply. I appreciate that execution of the possession warrant does end the tenancy but I was more thinking along the lines of whether there is an appeal process available to the tenant before a bailiff is in attendance. Some posts on here have suggested that such an appeal can be lodged right up to the date of the eviction.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X