court threats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

court threats

Hi all, briefly, tenant left,short notice, i informed him deposit would be returned if house was rent-able, after inspection work was required along with items missing told him i will refund part deposit. He informed me he was taking me to small claims for all deposit plus interest plus costs. Court papers arrived today, does he stand a chance of winning, house is in Northern Ireland, thanks

Does NI works under same legislation as England & Wales ?

If Yes then you will need to prove condition Before and after ( inventories/ pics /vids)
    If you have none dont waste your time and return 100% of dep
    If you have good & string indisputable evidence then you will need to produce proper invoices to put a successful claim on the T money/dep
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Comment

Thank you Rodent1, I have no record of the property condition before renting but plenty of pictures of the aftermath.Lounge carpet badly stained, damage to kitchen appliances, window blinds, woodwork, paintwork, rooms very badly painted, items missing(no innovatory), rubbish hidden among other things.The tenant ended up with 5 adults in, instead of 2 and taking deposits from the others.Thanks for your reply

Comment

You don't mention if the deposit was protected in a tenancy deposit scheme. I just wonder why the tenant is going via small claims rather than the scheme you are registered with. It's their right, but I just wondered...

If the deposit wasn't registered I would imagine you will definately loose, unless you have a very convincing mitigating circumstance! If it was registered, then maybe your photos will help, but without a context (ie photos of before the let) it may be difficult
        IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Originally posted by johnomac View Post
          I have no record of the property condition before renting plus (no innovatory),
          I'd be willing to bet that you'll lose in Court. Without an inventory or schedule of condition from before the tenant moved in, you have no hope of convincing a court of the chages to the property after they left.
          My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
            Does NI works under same legislation as England & Wales?
            No. Its legal system is quite different, just as Scotland's is.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. There is no requirement for a deposit scheme here yet,I believe, I would think of paying just to stay out of the court but he is now looking interest of £1 per day, already at £130 plus £50 court fees. I don`t know if I should get a solicitor to see what he thinks . Thanks again

Comment

If it were me, I would go to court and show the judge the pictures. Worst that can happen is you will lose, isn't it?

Comment

Going to go with your thinking Jamesnight1, spoke to another landlord and that was his reckoning, he also said the fact T left on short notice may well go in my favour, worst case I may have time to pay him back , wish me luck, thank you all.

Comment

Yes indeed - good luck! Please come back to this thread and let us know what happens.
                    IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
                      by MdeB
                      Every place I have rented (5 places up to age 29) were furnished; when I moved I needed a couple of suit cases.

Every place I have let has been unfurnished, because it is less hassle for me and there is the demand for unfurnished properties....
                      18-09-2020, 20:05 PM
                    • Part furnished
                      by Chester Perry
                      Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                      18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                    • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                      by doobrey
                      Agree.

Good luck. Sounds like an impossible job to me, unfortunately....
                      18-09-2020, 20:04 PM
                    • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                      by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                      Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                      18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                      by Jon66
                      This is poor behaviour by you as landlord. Letting yourselves in to paint a wall without asking is very out of order, and the second time being late by 25 minutes is unacceptable, and then you let yourselves in without contacting the tenant. Very unprofessional. There is a pattern emerging of just...
                      18-09-2020, 20:03 PM
                    • Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                      by SamCartman
                      We gave 4 working days notice to our tenant of entry to inspect, and specified 2pm to meet with them at the property.
                      We arrived 20-25 minutes late due to traffic and rung the doorbell with no answer, so we used our keys to get in and ran a brief inspection in their absence which was fine. ...
                      18-09-2020, 15:43 PM
                    • Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                      by MdeB
                      It is their property because you have leased it to them.

I too would have been annoyed if you had entered my property without my permission....
                      18-09-2020, 19:50 PM
                    • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                      by MdeB
                      My experience:
                      1. The only S21 notice I have issued, the tenants left when the notice period ended.
                      2. A friend of my wife received a S21 notice (it appeared invalid in about 8 ways when she gave me details) after sho posted on her social media page a photo and question about mould in her toddler's bedroom.
                      18-09-2020, 19:40 PM
                    • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                      by fmST1
                      When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                      I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                      11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                    • Reply to Part furnished
                      by jpucng62
                      So what do they do with their furniture between these 'owned houses'?

Just because you experience is different to mine doesn't make my view of renters any stranger than yours. It is based on 20 years of tenants who have all happily supplied their own furniture. I accept that it is not a...
                      18-09-2020, 19:37 PM
                    Working...
                    X