Cost of joining TDS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of joining TDS?

Can anyone tell me how much it costs for a private landlord with one rental property to join the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
    This info doesn't appear to be available on their web site unless you fill in the application form!

There are three approved schemes. Do you mean:

TDS - The Dispute Service http://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/homepage.html (this imposes strict requirements on members and it's unlikely that you'd qualify)

DPS - The Deposit Protection Service http://www.depositprotection.com/ (this is the custodial scheme and it's free)

Tenancy Deposit Solutions trading as MyDeposits http://mydeposits.co.uk/

Comment

Yes, I mean TDS -as in The Dispute Service.
      Our tenant's deposit is with them now through our ex agent.
      I'm hoping to leave it there for another year (after a new AST agreement with the same tenant)

I've e-mailed them but had no response.

Comment

As I said, it's unlikely you'd qualify as a member of TDS, so for the protection to continue under TDS the deposit money must remain in the agent-member's bank account, and they are the one who pay fees to the scheme. The agent may therefore pass on a charge to you.

The alternative is to ask the agent to transfer the deposit to you, and for you to protect it with one of the two other schemes (and provide T with the prescribed information).

Comment

Thanks for that. Presumably the tenant will have to authorise the return of the deposit to me?

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
            There are three approved schemes. Do you mean:

TDS - The Dispute Service http://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/homepage.html (this imposes strict requirements on members and it's unlikely that you'd qualify)

DPS - The Deposit Protection Service http://www.depositprotection.com/ (this is the custodial scheme and it's free)

Tenancy Deposit Solutions trading as MyDeposits http://mydeposits.co.uk/
            This is useful. Please post it (except for first paragraph) as a new thread and I'll ask for it to be 'stickied'.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Thyrsis View Post
              Thanks for that. Presumably the tenant will have to authorise the return of the deposit to me?
              Yes, its their deposit so you will need authorisation to transfer this to another scheme. Get them to write to you confirming this and then copy to the current agent. If you pre-register all the info with the DPS there is no reason why current agent cannot just transfer the money from their account to the DPS.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                by Renterthedragon
                I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
              • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by ash72
                I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
              • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                by flyingfreehold
                Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hooper
                I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
              • Single parent renting
                by Dct
                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
              • Reply to Single parent renting
                by Hudson01
                This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
                18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
              • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Hudson01
                As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
                18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
              • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
                by Forgetmeknot
                I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
                so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
                18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
              • Reply to Let a house to local council
                by ram
                If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
                18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
              • Let a house to local council
                by r3drum
                Guys

Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
                20-11-2019, 11:58 AM
              Working...
              X