Quick Qestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Qestions

We may have try and claim unpaid rent through the courts so we want to make sure we have done everything correct, we would like to know

1. Do we have as LL have to inform the T where the deposit has been held or is that up to the DPS

2. Does the signatures on the AST agreement have to witnessed when both parties sign

3. Can we apply to the DPS to keep the deposit to cover some of the rent arrears

4. Another LL has asked for a reference, the AST runs until August so we have not given one, should we inform the LL the reason why we wont give a reference until August or will we be breaking law (Data Protection Act)

Thanks

Mr/MrsLandlord

Originally posted by Mr/MrsLandlord View Post
    We may have try and claim unpaid rent through the courts so we want to make sure we have done everything correct, we would like to know

1. Do we have as LL have to inform the T where the deposit has been held or is that up to the DPS

They should have been told by the dps

2. Does the signatures on the AST agreement have to witnessed when both parties sign

No

3. Can we apply to the DPS to keep the deposit to cover some of the rent arrears

Yes

4. Another LL has asked for a reference, the AST runs until August so we have not given one, should we inform the LL the reason why we wont give a reference until August or will we be breaking law (Data Protection Act)

Best thing I think is just to decline to give a reference atall. that will tell the new lanlord all he needs to know

Thanks

Mr/MrsLandlord
    Hope that helps

Comment

You have to provide the tenant with 'prescribed information' which includes details of whom protects the deposit.

https://www.depositprotection.com/do...n-template.pdf

Comment

Can someone else comment further on the giving of references and what we should or shouldn't say? I would always want to be honest about a tenant, both positive and negative. And i'd like fellow landlords to be totally open with me too. Are we really unable to give a truthful response for fear of data protection and the like?
        IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

Comment

Just be honest.

so and so has been a good tenant over the last x months. They have not yet given notice on the current property.

Rent payments have been generally good however there are some arrears that the tenant [is] [is not] currently working to clear off.

If there are arrears, you may be better off without them!
          Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

You might enjoy this thread:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ctive-T/page23
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr/MrsLandlord View Post
              As advised already, yes; but only if your tenancy agreement says that you can

I do wonder about all this DPA angst these days... is it just me, but what does this have to do with the DPA? I can't see any problem with providing a strictly factual and truthful reference if you want to: and by factual I mean info like "tenant is currently 2 months behind with the rent" which can be backed up by evidence, rather than potentially libellous stuff like "tenant is obnoxious and keeps the place like a pigsty and I wouldn't let to him again if he was the last tenant on earth".

You may have your own reasons for wanting or not wanting to give a 'full' reference, or not giving one at all. It's all very laudable, the idea of landlords all altruistically looking out for each other and flagging up bad tenants; but in the real world I'm sure there are plenty who will lie through their teeth in order to get rid of a bad tenant and I'm really not sure of the value of sticking your neck out by volunteering information you don't have to, when it may potentially be to your own detriment.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                by DoricPixie
                The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
              • How to evict professional tenant?
                by CharlesRiver
                I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
              • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                by DoricPixie
                The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
              • Council staying eviction needed
                by lostforwords
                My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
              • Reply to N5B Form
                by Truth
                Any tips on a good one to use?
                26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
              • N5B Form
                by Truth
                Good Afternoon everyone,
                Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
              • Reply to N5B Form
                by Truth
                I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                by Hudson01
                Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

What a sad state of affairs....
                26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                by gnvqsos
                The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                by Hudson01
                Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
              Working...
              X