Tenant has left property before end of contract - advice required please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant has left property before end of contract - advice required please

    Hi all

    I have been renting my property through a letting agent for some time. The property was rented out to a tenant who signed a 12 month contract (no break clause) but had to leave the property for personal reasons. The tenant was informed that he would be liable for any rent until the property is re-let - he accepted and agreed to this via email.

    It now turns out that the tenant has left the property but has failed to pay for last month's rent (the letting agent only informed me after the tenant left the property). The letting agent (nor I) have any forwarding address for the tenant who has left the country.

    The letting agent does have the deposit, which will cover a months rent but the property has not been re-let yet, so I will be out of pocket. I, along with the letting agent, have tried to contact the tenant via phone and email, but have had no response.

    What are my options? Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go through the expense of tracking the tenant outside of the UK, but would like to know whether I can do anything that would affect the tenant should he return to the UK (e.g. adverse credit rating, etc).

    Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

    Well, you could sue T; and aim at registering a CCJ (reducing the likelihood of others giving him credit).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


    Latest Activity


    • Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
      by DoricPixie
      The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

      Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
      26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
    • How to evict professional tenant?
      by CharlesRiver
      I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
      23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
    • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
      by DoricPixie
      The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
      26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
    • Council staying eviction needed
      by lostforwords
      My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
      26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
    • Reply to N5B Form
      by Truth
      Any tips on a good one to use?
      26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
    • N5B Form
      by Truth
      Good Afternoon everyone,
      Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
      Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
      24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
    • Reply to N5B Form
      by Truth
      I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
      Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
      26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
    • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
      by Hudson01
      Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

      What a sad state of affairs....
      26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
    • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
      by gnvqsos
      The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
      26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
    • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
      by Hudson01
      Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

      Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
      26-06-2022, 20:02 PM