Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice & New contract in one???

Any advice would be appreciated...

My landlord has served me notice (section 21) in line with my rental dates, all correct I believe. In the same envelope he has also offered me a new contract at an increased rent. Doesn't this invalidate the section 21?

No it does not.

Comment

Got to love the landlord's negotiation skills, though

Comment

This is one of the two ways that your landlord can increase the rent. If you are prepared to accept the increase then sign the new AST and pay the increased rent. Your occupation of te premises can then continue uninterrupted. If you aren't happy, discuss same with landlord and if a compromise is not possible then prepare to move out. At least you do not have a greedy letting agent demanding a fee of something like £100 as well to renew the tenancy!

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

If the s21 is worded correctly and your landlord has protected the deposit and given you information about which scheme is holding it there's little you can do unfortunately.

To get an idea if the new rent is reasonable have a look at local estate agents to see what similar properties are going for. You should then discount that price by a fair amount (at least 10%) to account for the extra fees the landlord would have to pay when a new tenant moves in. You may want to take off a bit more depending on how active your local rental market is, to accommodate the risk the landlord may face when trying to get a new tenant in to pay the rent.

Once you've worked out a price your starting offer should then be pitched lower, as with any negotiation.
          Disclaimer:

The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Comment

Did L protect T's deposit (and provide the prescribed information) before serving Notice under s.21?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses, lets see what I can negotiate!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X