Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a Court Order over rule an AST??

Here's a question for the legal minded.

If you have a Court Order stating you must pay the rent of £XX on 1 April (which is the day rent is due), and must vacate the property on the 20 May, but there is no mention in the Court Order of pro rata payment for May, is it up to the Tenant to work out pro rata payment or is it not due because the payment is not mentioned on the Court Order.

Just because the court order doesn't mention something, doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done. The court order doesn't mention that the windows have to be left in-situ, but they do

Comment

Hmmm.

I'd interpret that as liability continues under contract for rent which was due under that Contract, and that applies to both the rent included in the Court Order and that not included.

There may be additional penalties or possibilities as a result of a Court Order for violation of that Court Order.

For example, a CCJ for unpaid rent doesn't add any extra liability for that rent - no extra rent is owing as a result of the CCJ, but it does allow extra methods (ie bailiffs etc) to be applied to the debt.

In the case you cite, obviously rent is still due as the Tenancy is continuing. A sensible tenant will pay pro rata (subject to all the usual gamut of grey areas such as claims for non-maintenance etc) after talking to LL, but it is also for the landlord to claim the rent due and then take recovery action if necessary as before.

I think that in theory a Court (but not necessarily this Court) could have ordered that rent continue to be paid as due in the future, but there you could be into injunctions by High Court judges and T having potentially criminal penalties for violating such an injunction. I don't think such an injunction would be granted as it would be disproportionate, or may be ruled out by some law or practice direction somewhere.

ML
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

One last question, as the Court Order states property must be vacated by 1pm on 20 May, if the property was vacated before that, and the keys handed in, would that be breaking the Court Order??

Comment

Originally posted by Tatty2011 View Post
          One last question, as the Court Order states property must be vacated by 1pm on 20 May, if the property was vacated before that, and the keys handed in, would that be breaking the Court Order??
          No- T is not obliged to remain resident until the latest time for vacating.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            No- T is not obliged to remain resident until the latest time for vacating.
            Would the tenant still be liable for the rent until the 20th of May though, even though the house was locked securely and the keys were handed in to agents?

If the tenant decided to stay in the property until the last day, is it not up to the agent or landlord to inform the tenant of the pro rata rent payment? Or is it up to the tenant to work it out for themselves?

Comment

If the Letting Agreement (fixed term) is still running, T is still liable. T cannot end that liability unilaterally.
              BUT L could agree (voluntarily) to accept early surrender; that would end T's liability.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting rooms
                by Luke
                I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                I do not intend to live at the property
                Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                As its...
                28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
              • Reply to Is time more important than money?
                by Lawcruncher
                I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
              • Is time more important than money?
                by jpucng62
                Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                Garden was left in a mess...
                27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
              • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                by MdeB
                That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
              • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                by Beeble
                We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Lawcruncher
                The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
              • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by Piffy
                I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
              • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                by AndrewDod
                Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
              • Inherited a few rentals
                by Landlord7289
                Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
              • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                by DoricPixie
                Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
              Working...
              X