Section 21 - struck out for absence of the word "after"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jghomer View Post
    Just to be clear then are we advised NOT to use the LLZ S21 form?

And re-issue any that have already been issued? :-(
    Well I've spoken to the court manager today who looked briefly at the paperwork and agreed with me - he advised I put it in writing and he would send it up to the Judge for comment so I will report back in a week or two when I get a response.

What REALLY annoys me with all this is that I was due to meet the tenant on Monday to get keys in return for cash payment, but I got a text today saying he's not leaving now - obviously due to this judgement and he thinks he can stay another 2 months at least. Luckily I've served section 8 as well although possession claim online are not accepting any of my cards at the moment :-( grrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      A s.21(4)(a) notice must give T at least two months and expire at the end of a tenancy period (not a rental period).
      After: [date] or,
      if this notice would otherwise be ineffective, after the date being the earliest date not earlier than two months after the date of service of this notice when shall expire a period of the assured shorthold tenancy.

Just to confirm Westminster, in the case of my tenancy now being periodic the last words above should read "...shall expire a period of the periodic assured shorthold tenancy"?

Comment

Originally posted by Parchester View Post
        Just to confirm Westminster, in the case of my tenancy now being periodic the last words above should read "...shall expire a period of the periodic assured shorthold tenancy"?
        No. I quoted the wording exactly as is. See http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2010/0...ate-of-notice/

Comment

So can I assume that The words "assured shorthold tenancy" is a catch all that includes a periodic? I'm putting this sentence in now for the new notice so want to make sure I've got it correct and in that link it's not clear if the case was for periodic or statutory.
          Thanks
          P

Comment

So can I assume that The words "assured shorthold tenancy" is a catch all that includes a periodic?
            'Assured shorthold tenancy' is the type of tenancy in terms of statutes. Whether it is a fixed term AST is down to agreement between T and LL.

Comment

So can I assume that The words "assured shorthold tenancy" is a catch all that includes a periodic? I'm putting this sentence in now for the new notice so want to make sure I've got it correct and in that link it's not clear if the case was for periodic or statutory.
              An assured shorthold tenancy may be fixed term, contractual periodic (created by contract), or statutory periodic (arising by statute). The link clearly refers to s.21(4)(a), which is the subsection relating to serving notice in a periodic tenancy.

I said earlier that 'arguably the tenancy periods ran noon 1st - noon 1st of the month, and your notice should have said you required possession "after 12 noon 1st February 2011"'. But it is also arguable that you could not grant half a day's tenancy, i.e. up to noon on 1st May 2008, because the law generally deals only in whole days, in which case the fixed term would expire at midnight of 1st May, with periods running 2nd - 1st of the month.

The judge's comments are ambiguous. While he says that the term ended "on 1st May 2008" he doesn't explicity say that your expiry date of 31st January 2011 is wrong (albeit he cites that case where the notice expiry date was wrong and also lacking the word 'after'). Personally, I can't see how 31st January could have been right whichever way you calculate the tenancy periods.

Comment

Whilst I hesitate to say anything that undermines confidence in the precedents available on LLZ, I think this thread demonstrates the dangers of using precedents available online. First, the precedent may be faulty and, secondly, it may be perfectly adequate but not the one you want.

I am all in favour of legal DIY where appropriate, but the problem for any particular layman is knowing when it is appropriate for him to go it alone. Lawyers are expensive and it is therefore understandable if people are tempted to go DIY. Law is bit like medicine. If you go to the doctor he will, hopefully, diagnose your condition correctly and if appropriate prescribe medication that will not only cure you but is not incompatible with any other medicine you may be taking or any other condition you may have. If you engage in self-diagnosis and buy over-the-counter medicine you may buy the wrong thing and/or buy something that you ought not be taking. We often end up going the doctor to be told: "You should have come to see me sooner".

Notices are very easy to get wrong. Most negligence claims against solicitors involve an error in some procedural matter rather than getting the law wrong. Checking routine documents carefully is part of good practice. Preparing standard notices is something often given to trainee lawyers. They do not always get it right. If someone who has made an intense study of the law can get a notice wrong then you have to concede that there is a greater chance of someone who has not studied the law getting it wrong.

Section 21 notices are a bit of a special case because whilst the courts have a general policy that they will overlook an error in a notice if the recipient is not prejudiced by it so that the purpose of the notice is clear, they will insist that a section 21 notice complies strictly with the requirements set out in section 21. So, if the correct date to insert in a section 21 (4) notice is 23 July 2011 and you put in 22 July 2011 the notice will be invalid. However, if you put in 22 July 2010 you will probably get away with it because the error is obvious.

Comment

Confused now what date to put in! I had just re-written it to say "After 12 noon 1st July" (i.e. now giving a nother 2 months notice period) as previous advice.

Should I change this now to "After 1st July" and not specify the time? I guess this would be the safest as if there is judged to be an error it would be in the tenants favour and so probably accepted.

Although I can see where confusion lies in having a noon expiry date (first AST I ever used, and never again!), I can also see that expiry "After 31st January" could still be conceived as being correct because "12 noon" is in the following day.

Comment

Confused now what date to put in! I had just re-written it to say "After 12 noon 1st July" (i.e. now giving a nother 2 months notice period) as previous advice.

Should I change this now to "After 1st July" and not specify the time? I guess this would be the safest as if there is judged to be an error it would be in the tenants favour and so probably accepted.
                    I don't know the right answer - but my guess would be "after 1st July".

Although I can see where confusion lies in having a noon expiry date (first AST I ever used, and never again!), I can also see that expiry "After 31st January" could still be conceived as being correct because "12 noon" is in the following day.
                    No, s.21(4)(a) specifies "after a date specified in the notice, being the last day of a period of the tenancy".

Comment

Thanks Westminster I think I understand your thinking now - the fact that is says "day" implies a full day and the last day is the 1st morning.
                      Cheers
                      P

Comment

Nothing to stop you serving more than one notice allowing for all possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                          A section 21 notice is not an "etc". The Regulations apply where "a landlord gives a notice to quit any premises let as a dwelling, or a licensor gives a notice to determine a periodic licence to occupy premises as a dwelling".
                          Yes; and, as westminster frequently notes (e.g. in post #11), a s.21 Notice is not a Notice To Quit.
                          Consequently, those 1988 Regulations do not apply to a s.21 Notice: neither s.21(1)(b) nor s.21(4)(a).
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Renting rooms
                            by Luke
                            I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
                            I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
                            I do not intend to live at the property
                            Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
                            As its...
                            28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
                          • Reply to Is time more important than money?
                            by Lawcruncher
                            I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                            27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
                          • Is time more important than money?
                            by jpucng62
                            Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                            Garden was left in a mess...
                            27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                          • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                            by MdeB
                            That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                            Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                            27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
                          • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                            by Beeble
                            We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                            25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                            by Lawcruncher
                            The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                            27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
                          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                            by Piffy
                            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                            by AndrewDod
                            Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                            27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
                          • Inherited a few rentals
                            by Landlord7289
                            Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                            25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                            by DoricPixie
                            Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                            27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                          Working...
                          X