New L - Any reason not to set out doin own advertising/vetting etc?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New L - Any reason not to set out doin own advertising/vetting etc?

    I'm just in the process of purchasing my first buy to let. I've done some extensive reading up on here, other sites and books so I'm fairly well acquainted with my new responsibilities and as ready as I can be to start our journey!

    One thing I have picked up is that almost every instance of problems I've read about involves a bad tenant that was signed up by a letting agent. Now I understand there are good and bad letting agents but my gut instinct is that its my property and I want to meet potential tenants and suss them out for myself and also ensure that references/credit checks/affordability checks are done diligently. Having looked at sites like tenantverify they seem to make the process look easy enough. Are there any other sites worth a look? I hear the NLA do checks slightly cheaper?

    Also are the online tenancy agreements (such as the one s on propertyhawk.com) ok for general use? Maybe add in additional clauses as needed?

    Thanks in advance for any pointers!

    #2
    Yes - go for it. You're probably already more competent than some if the agents we hear about here!

    Yes yes yes to doing your own vetting.

    Make sure you have available good sources of advice. Here. Motley Fool 'investing in property' board. Also join the NLA if you haven't already - they have a good advice line. Membership also entitles you to discounted insurance among other things, which in some cases may even cover the membership fee.

    The NLA also provide free ASTs to members which are kept up to date with the latest clauses.

    TBH I write my own AST based on all the best wording and clauses I see on all the various available ASTs. Strictly speaking I should probably get it checked over by a lawyer, but it's seeped me ok.
    IANAL (I am not a lawyer). Anything I say here is just an opinion, so should not be relied upon! Always check your facts with a professional who really knows their onions.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by fridaypassion View Post
      I'm just in the process of purchasing my first buy to let. I've done some extensive reading up on here, other sites and books so I'm fairly well acquainted with my new responsibilities and as ready as I can be to start our journey!
      Reading about this business is just the start.
      I think you'll find out some more things once you start dealing with tenants or prospective tenants.

      Originally posted by fridaypassion View Post
      but my gut instinct is that its my property and I want to meet potential tenants and suss them out for myself and also ensure that references/credit checks/affordability checks are done diligently.
      Only if you know what to look for, have a developed gut instinct and know what are the red/orange/yellow flags.
      Tenant assessment agencies only deal in facts and so they won't tell you about the less obvious & often subtle signs of possible problems.

      There's no getting away from direct experience as your best tool & guide, as it is in almost every other avenue of life and until you get that, I would not advise you go it alone.

      Letting Agencies can be poor, incompetent and maddening, but there are good ones around, even very good/excellent ones who are worth far more than they charge and I would urge you to not discount them so readily.


      Originally posted by fridaypassion View Post
      Having looked at sites like tenantverify they seem to make the process look easy enough. Are there any other sites worth a look? I hear the NLA do checks slightly cheaper?
      Letsure
      Homelet
      Maras
      Natural selection is a wonderful thing
      You shall know them by their fruit
      Saying "Never say never", says it

      Comment


        #4
        Buy2Let is a med/high risk investment opp for the uninitited
        LL/T legislation is complicated and you could lose several £K in early years if you rely soleky on free advice
        NLA/RLA membership offers member benefits/trg for an annual fee

        Comment


          #5
          There are good letting agents out there. Remember that you possibly get a biased view of LAs here, as people only post when they have problems, so there must be many 100's of quite happy LA customers, who do not come here for advice because everything is running fine.

          We have had our property for 10 years, and only decided to go it alone when we found the current T. Our previous 2 long-term Ts in that time, both found and fully managed through the agent, were excellent.

          Having now let it ourselves, so far so good. There is a wealth of invaluable information here, and members with far greater knowledge who are always willing the help and advise. We used tenantverify for our credit check etc. Met the T twice. Spoke to previous LL (I know there are those here who say this is not always a good idea, but there was no "previous" previous LL to speak to as T was only renting for 2nd time). Spoke to a character reference. And generally followed our gut instinct, which so far has proved right. However, even the most suitable, 100% solid gold tenant can suffer a change of circumstances which can affect their ability to pay the rent etc, so all these references are merely a "snap shot" of the situation at the time they are made - rather like an MOT on a car, and tomorrow everything could change!

          Remember though, you can always ask to meet and have a chat with any prospective Ts that an agent finds for you, so using an agent would not preclude you from forming your own perception of that person, before you commit to letting to them.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post
            There are good letting agents out there. Remember that you possibly get a biased view of LAs here, as people only post when they have problems, so there must be many 100's of quite happy LA customers, who do not come here for advice because everything is running fine.

            We have had our property for 10 years, and only decided to go it alone when we found the current T. Our previous 2 long-term Ts in that time, both found and fully managed through the agent, were excellent.

            Having now let it ourselves, so far so good. There is a wealth of invaluable information here, and members with far greater knowledge who are always willing the help and advise. We used tenantverify for our credit check etc. Met the T twice. Spoke to previous LL (I know there are those here who say this is not always a good idea, but there was no "previous" previous LL to speak to as T was only renting for 2nd time). Spoke to a character reference. And generally followed our gut instinct, which so far has proved right. However, even the most suitable, 100% solid gold tenant can suffer a change of circumstances which can affect their ability to pay the rent etc, so all these references are merely a "snap shot" of the situation at the time they are made - rather like an MOT on a car, and tomorrow everything could change!

            Remember though, you can always ask to meet and have a chat with any prospective Ts that an agent finds for you, so using an agent would not preclude you from forming your own perception of that person, before you commit to letting to them.
            A very good, balanced assessment and first hand experience is always much better for newbies than theory.

            I would only change the figure of how many landlords are happy with their letting agent, which i would imagine is at least into the hundreds of thousands given how many people let out their home.

            And yes, landlords and tenants don't really come onto a webforum to say how wonderful things are, apart from mentioning it in as part of saying something else, so this forum can seem like a house of horrors sometimes with what people have experienced.
            If this forum was a barometer of what is going on in the residential property lettings market, there would be no market to speak of.

            Comment


              #7
              This slightly off your question but its food for thought perhaps.

              I suspect that one day, being a landlord will become a licensable occupation/operation, with no doubt a raft of rules and regulations to ensure that landlords do follow the law, safeguards, standards, etc.
              There would also need to be formalised training to facilitate such a change.

              I know there are some local landlord registration schemes but these seem to have a low uptake and identification is difficult and costly.

              If this was to happen, I would imagine the market would shrink given how many landlords are doing it in a non-professional, unintentional and often, quite way, not to mention the number of landlords who have homes that are just a tad above a squat, do everything without documentation, deposits, bank accounts, etc., and which some tenants accept if the rent is cheap.

              Such a change would probably only be welcomed by landlords if there was commensurate changes on the tenant side of the equation, which has been documented at length on this forum.

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
                by landlord-man
                Yes, they have a demo account where you can play with £75,000 ($100,000)

                I did put $10k into one copy on April 4th and its now on a profit of $4,915, so nearly 50% in just under 4 months.

                I guess as Im only playing, I should "invest" all the funds and see how they...
                24-07-2021, 13:28 PM
              • Stock Market - Yes or No ?
                by landlord-man
                I will post here but it may get moved - but at least it gets a bit of exposure to begin with lol

                I've used a platform called etoro for 2 or 3 years to hold shares in some cruise stocks (don't laugh) - mainly because we do 4 or 5 cruises a year and the shareholder benefits can be quite handy....
                24-07-2021, 09:50 AM
              • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
                by landlord-man
                Has he paid the rent on June 15th and then again on July 15th?

                Sounds obvious but have you double checked you have done all the correct paperwork and deposit registration/certificate - triple check it !!

                Personally, going forward I would not liaise with the tenant in any way...
                24-07-2021, 13:19 PM
              • Very difficult tenant issues
                by Helvie
                I'm going to keep this short as its a long story. I have a tenant who signed the new tenancy contract on 15th June and then on 27th June I received about 20-25 messages and pictures the evening saying the flat was unliveable due to pests and that he had only moved in the night before. I went round to...
                24-07-2021, 12:46 PM
              • Reply to Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                by Hudson01
                Even if you were my opinion would stay the same, i think that given it is a converted house the noise isolation and other issues are not the same as separate purpose built flats, so having one as a rental will have far more of an impact upon the other owners who live there. It really is a one way street...
                24-07-2021, 13:12 PM
              • Changing Lease Clause to Permit Letting
                by witsend55
                Not sure if this is the best section to post in, so please move if it is considered best place elsewhere.

                I have had ownership of a flat, one of just four in a converted house, for many years. There is a simple flat management structure; the four owners are directors and have one share...
                24-07-2021, 11:53 AM
              • Reply to No Fault Eviction
                by jpucng62
                This is not my understanding - perhaps others can clarify. I thought you had to give your usual notice if you were leaving before the end of the LLs notice period....
                24-07-2021, 13:09 PM
              • No Fault Eviction
                by Gdunwell
                Hi All, I have been living in the same house for 7 years and have just been served a form 6A giving 4 months notice to vacate. The owner is returning from overseas and wants to live in the house. Whilst disappointed I get that this is one of the perils of renting but it has raised a few questions. ...
                24-07-2021, 07:54 AM
              • Reply to Stock Market - Yes or No ?
                by doobrey
                Yes, there are some who seem to have fairly consistent positive performance over a period of years. I would be skeptical, though. Could be explained by them having holdings in a few companies (e.g. Amazon) which have done very well over that time(?) I would suspect survivorship bias.

                Can...
                24-07-2021, 13:00 PM
              • Reply to Very difficult tenant issues
                by Hudson01
                I suspect he is a professional scammer, i do not believe anyone can be such a wimp as to be running scared over a few spiders etc, he may be doing this to simply be paid off to leave the tenancy etc. I would engage a solicitor given he will try all he can to get money out of you, offer to end the tenancy...
                24-07-2021, 12:55 PM
              Working...
              X