Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ex tenant post...

Hi

I have had trouble with an ex tenant currently trying to take me to court but i am still receiving mail at my house for her. Further more some mail is addressed to her partner who wasn't down as living their.

My first question is, legally, what is the situation with the mail - can i throw it away, do i have to keep it for her, do i have to pass it on to her or return it to the PO?

My second question is whether or not i should report her to the benefits agency as she was claiming housing benefit but only on the tenancy as herself living their - does mail to her partner their prove he was living there? She successfully sued her last landlord, is suing me and so wouldn't surprise me if she was ripping off the benefits agencies too. There's not much to stop people like this as i have heard this is a common problem amongst landlords but i'd like to do what i can to stop her doing it in future.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just post the mail back marked "unkown at this address/return to sender"

Why is she suing you?

Comment

Boyfriends mail does not prove he is living there - he patently isn't.

FWIW, it is the tenants right (within reason) to sue anyone she feels she has a claim against. It is up to the courts to decide if she is right or not. Just because she sued her previous landlord - and was proved correct by the court - does not mean she is defrauding anyone. Likewise, her claim against you may or may not prove to be valid.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the replies so far. I would prefer to not discuss the court action (too in depth to go into and i am happy with all aspects of the case), my questions were about the post and link then to the benefits agency only on this occasion but i thank you for your interest.

Thanks for the your statement Snorkerz, full of insight and information, very useful... i can see why your a senior member here...

Comment

Originally posted by lwilma View Post
          My first question is, legally, what is the situation with the mail - can i throw it away, do i have to keep it for her, do i have to pass it on to her or return it to the PO?
          You can choose to repost it marked 'return to sender' but you cannot legally open someone else's post. I've no idea of the legal position in terms of throwing it away; but I strongly doubt you would get into trouble for doing so.

My second question is whether or not i should report her to the benefits agency as she was claiming housing benefit but only on the tenancy as herself living their - does mail to her partner their prove he was living there?
          You can choose to report her or not. The mail to her partner is evidence that he was living there, but not 'proof'.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
            You can choose to repost it marked 'return to sender' but you cannot legally open someone else's post. I've no idea of the legal position in terms of throwing it away; but I strongly doubt you would get into trouble for doing so.
            and if you open it, read it then shred it/throw it away????
            Not that I would ever dream of doing so you understand...
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
              by jpucng62
              I would write the discrepancies on the inventory and then sign it and return it. Keep a copy for when you move out.
              23-04-2021, 13:22 PM
            • Inventory done without giving me advance notice - discrepancies found
              by forest777
              Dear all,

I picked up keys to a property on Monday 19th April and given the inventory which was done on Friday 16th April. The inventory was done without telling me when it was going to happen - that is when I asked the LA about it, he merely told me that it was already done. The TA began...
              22-04-2021, 21:50 PM
            • Reply to Rent arrears
              by Berlingogirl
              Have you still got a contact number for them? Text them immediately asking for a forwarding address saying you need to write to them about the outstanding arrears. Do this before he changes his number. If he doesn't reply ask again saying you will write to him at his last known address (that'll probably...
              23-04-2021, 13:15 PM
            • Rent arrears
              by MP31
              Hi

So I have a tenant who has build up large rent arrears and I have gone through the process with the solicitor of S8 for rent arrears and I have a court date In April. The tenant left the house last Monday and informed me they had left.
              To me it seems unlikely I will ever get...
              21-02-2021, 07:43 AM
            • Reply to Rent arrears
              by Movieman
              can anyone recommend a no fee no find service to find tenants, my tenant owes me about £5k and I'm considering going after him or at least have the satisfaction of registering CCJ against him and his wife.

He is so dumb though that he will spend more money trying to avoid the debt than...
              23-04-2021, 12:55 PM
            • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
              by theartfullodger
              Politely decline and firmly require it to be removed. Keep evidence of those requests and photos of sofa in case of any police involvement
              23-04-2021, 12:50 PM
            • Can I take previous tenants furniture?
              by JohnMM96
              The landlord asked if we wanted the sofa removed since it wasn't advertised as being part of the flat since it belonged to the previous tenant. We said we would keep it. The tenant moved out a year ago so there is zero expectation of him reclaiming the sofa. He left it because he didn't want it. We...
              23-04-2021, 11:28 AM
            • Reply to Can I take previous tenants furniture?
              by JohnMM96
              We have an email that asks if we want to keep the sofa. I will try and find it now since the wording is important....
              23-04-2021, 12:03 PM
            • Reply to Eviction advice
              by ba_baracuss
              The delay because I don't know what's going on. The tenant has been all over the place for a while due to family issues etc, and so it's possible that she has had some kind of breakdown or something and may not even be at the address. I'd imagine she could get council help for the rent. If I go the...
              23-04-2021, 11:55 AM
            • Eviction advice
              by ba_baracuss
              Hi, I have a tenant who is now several months in arrears. She has changed her phone number and does not answer the door. I've sent an informal letter asking her to get in touch, which has been ignored. She's been pretty flaky for a while and it seems like she's decided to stick her head in the sand...
              12-04-2021, 15:16 PM
            Working...
            X