Serving s.21 Notice: dates? by fax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serving s.21 Notice: dates? by fax?

1. I am a landlord, living overseas. Would it be lawful to FAX section 21 Notice to Vacate for my friend to post through the door of our rented-out house, or will it have to be the original document and be posted?

2. The tenants moved in on 3rd April. If we gave them notice tomorrow, is it ok to give them the 10th Jan 07 as their moving out date?

We are having problems with them at the moment, such as non-payment of rent, ever since we told them that we'd have to sell up. We've offered to pay their bond on their next property as a goodwill gesture, but still they won't play ball. Am really losing sleep over this, so ihope you can help.

Thanks!

It is better for an original copy of a Notice (you could email one) to be signed by your friend as your agent.

In order to answer Q2 one needs to know details of the lease: term, start date, rent dates ...
    Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

Thanks lawstudent.

The tenancy began on 3rd April and it was a 6 month AST (lawpack one). Foolishly, we never had an agreed rent payment date, as our tenants were friends of ours and they just used to pay when their Housing benefit came through. We gave them the impression that it would be a long-term let, but we weren't to know that jobs are few and far between in Oz and we are fast running out of money. He had not paid any rent since 15th Sept but we received two weeks rent into our account this morning, so he is now paid up until 29th Sept.

Any advice gratefully received.

Comment

What does it say in the lease about when rent is to be paid? Surely it says something!!
        Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

No. It was done on the understanding that he would transfer over his two weekly Housing Benefit amounts as soon as he receives it. We get the letters from the council to say it's been paid to him.

I don't understand why we left that part of the tenancy agreement blank. I think it's because we were trying to bend over backwards to help him out (he didn't have any money for rent in advance). He was a friend, prior to all this fall-out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X